P1000 Dual volt meter with Honda harness on back of 12v keyed plug

UKNB

UKNB

Apr 18, 2017
Fredericton NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I read threads but not quite finding answer. I have the Hondasxs wiring harness to tap into the back of the 12v cigarette lighter power.
I have a dual meter with 3 blades on back. Battery 1 is off my true to positive blade, battery 2 is off my “true” to the middle blade and the red from the harness is connected to the negative blade on the dual monitor. With key off, the dual gauge stays on and powers down when I start the engine. I am no electrician and would appreciate any help!! Thanks in advance!

Mark in Northern Iowa

Mark in Northern Iowa

Club Contributor
Oct 20, 2021
Floyd County, Iowa
kramnella.wixsite.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Multiple ways to do what is needed.
You need a way to power off each hot wire to the dual voltmeter.
I prefer to add a relay, and switch off GROUND.
standard dual volt meter

Instead of trying to explain it.
Here is a quick key on switched negative relay diagram.

I hope that makes sense.
I just quick threw it together in powerpoint.
edit to add
If you use your
"Hondasxs wiring harness to tap into the back of the 12v cigarette lighter power"
for the key on hot, it would already be fused.
Have a good day

Last edited:
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I read threads but not quite finding answer. I have the Hondasxs wiring harness to tap into the back of the 12v cigarette lighter power.
I have a dual meter with 3 blades on back. Battery 1 is off my true to positive blade, battery 2 is off my “true” to the middle blade and the red from the harness is connected to the negative blade on the dual monitor. With key off, the dual gauge stays on and powers down when I start the engine. I am no electrician and would appreciate any help!! Thanks in advance!
The three prongs on the back of the meter are 2 positives. One to each battery. The other is a ground. You need to use the key on harness to control a relay that gives the meter a ground. Since the meter gets its power from the two positives it’s measuring the best way to control it is by using the one ground. Did the meter come with a relay.
[/QUOTE

Reactions: monkfarm
UKNB

UKNB

Apr 18, 2017
Fredericton NB Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The three prongs on the back of the meter are 2 positives. One to each battery. The other is a ground. You need to use the key on harness to control a relay that gives the meter a ground. Since the meter gets its power from the two positives it’s measuring the best way to control it is by using the one ground. Did the meter come with a relay.
No a relay did not come with the meter

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No a relay did not come with the meter
You can pick one up at an auto parts store. You’ll need one that provides a ground when triggered. Your key on wire will trigger it. It will have a hot for key on, a ground you’ll need to hook up and the other will go to the back of meter. You can put the ground on a switch but if you already have the key on I’d just get the relay

D

duratime

Jan 26, 2022
Monterey,CA
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
So if I read this correctly. Ground (-) pins 85 & 30. Your keyed positive (+) to 86 and your ground (-) to your meter to pin 87. (87a is unused).

Reactions: Lady01
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Correct on all, and 87a is unused.

The momentary push button, Mark mentions, also allows a more accurate assessment of the main battery's condition as with key-off, the battery is not "loaded", so the voltage displayed is the battery's "at rest" condition as is typically the case with the aux battery as well. The button is shown below the voltmeter on my panel:

20211221 215040

M

mpilihp

Aug 13, 2021
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-4
Do you have a battery isolator between the two batteries? If not and if you get the one from the forum club store you can get it with the dual voltage meter and relay and directions on how to hook it all up, I just put one in my 700. Unfortunatly the directions to you say where they are expecting you to put the second battery and the battery cables included were not long enough for my application.

Phil

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!