The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I'd be more inclined to do it a bit later rather than earlier; the idea being that things are wearing in. If you do it early, I would personally error on the side of NOT putting any synthetic stuff in it to allow the parts to continue their wear-in process as they should. Once they're worn in, then switch everything over to synthetic.

That's my personal, non-evidenced-based, theory anyways.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Honda engineers have apparently determined that the wearing-in process during which tiny particles of metal from pistons, bearings, and other components are deposited in the oil and filters occurs during the first 100 miles. Their goal is to change oil and filters to remove contaminants.

Changing oil & filters early won't hurt anything but additional wearing in may continue. It might be wise to change oil and filters again after your planned trips.

That's my opinion. You can decide for yourself.

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did anyone do their break in service early? I know service is recommended at 100 miles or 20 hours but we’re looking at doing a few trips and would like to get the service out of the way. I’m at about 10 hours and 50 miles.
I did mine early. I think my first was at 75ish miles and 14 hours and then I recently did my second change at 500 miles. My first one had the expected break in oil look but my second service had me questioning why I did it when the oil came out so clean. I use only oe fluid.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My apologies to Green Goat. I see I posted a similar but opposing opinion to your post above. I guess we were wring our posts at about the same time and your reply posted while I was drafting mine.

No harm intended.

CPope

CPope

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Pulaski TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did anyone do their break in service early? I know service is recommended at 100 miles or 20 hours but we’re looking at doing a few trips and would like to get the service out of the way. I’m at about 10 hours and 50 miles.
Instead of sitting here typing, get out and let that bad boy roll up some miles. Lol

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
My apologies to Green Goat. I see I posted a similar but opposing opinion to your post above. I guess we were writing our posts at about the same time and your reply posted while I was drafting mine.

No harm intended.
I welcome second opinions, that's what we're here for, to learn from others - as long as it's kept respectful.

My opinion on this - change it now and again when you get back, oil is cheap, engines aren't. Fifty miles is enough to get 'the big chunks' into suspension.

H

HondaTech

Honda engineers have apparently determined that the wearing-in process during which tiny particles of metal from pistons, bearings, and other components are deposited in the oil and filters occurs during the first 100 miles. Their goal is to change oil and filters to remove contaminants.

Changing oil & filters early won't hurt anything but additional wearing in may continue. It might be wise to change oil and filters again after your planned trips.

They recommend waiting until 600 miles before changing the oil in my Super Cub, a 125cc air cooled single.

I changed it and my Grom (same engine) @ 100 miles and every 600 after.

Their recommendation on oil changes for those engines after the first is 2500 miles. No way id let that engine run for 2500 miles with same oil.

But then again i change my mower oil alot too. Probably too much.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I welcome second opinions, that's what we're here for, to learn from others - as long as it's kept respectful.

My opinion on this - change it now and again when you get back, oil is cheap, engines aren't. Fifty miles is enough to get 'the big chunks' into suspension.
I do also. We can all learn from the experiences of others.

advertisement
Bama-Daniel

Bama-Daniel

Lifetime Member
Feb 25, 2021
Priceville, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Makes sense on continued wear. Didn’t consider the extra wear. I called dealer and the service department said to bring it in when the service light comes on. Guessing that will be 100 miles or 20 hours? I think I will wait a little while and change when I’m closer to the miles/hours.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Mileage at first service is not critical. The 100 mile figure is a suggested guideline not a hard and fast rule. If you don't perform the 100 mile service until 150 or 200 miles it's not negligence.

Manufacturers generally use their recommended service oil as the initial fill. They usually don't use a light break-in oil now because metallurgy, manufacturing tolerances, and the quality of lubricants and filters are so much better than they were many years ago.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Mileage at first service is not critical. The 100 mile figure is a suggested guideline not a hard and fast rule. If you don't perform the 100 mile service until 150 or 200 miles it's not negligence.

Manufacturers generally use their recommended service oil as the initial fill. They usually don't use a light break-in oil now because metallurgy, manufacturing tolerances, and the quality of lubricants and filters are so much better than they were many years ago.
I agree with all of that. However, with regards to the hockey puck sized filters that honda uses internally to filter 4 quarts of oil, IMO it’s ridiculous. And spin on external oil filters arrived in the late 50’s early 60’s, my Polaris Ranger uses one and it’s one thing about Honda that pisses me off. I don’t change my own oil because of it...

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!