P1000 East Oklahoma / West Arkansas Forest Service Trail Width Restrictions

M

MortForShort

Jan 4, 2024
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are there any width restriction gates on Forest Service roads in Western Arkansas or Eastern Oklahoma that would prevent access to a Pioneer 1000-3 (63 inch) or a Talon 1000X-2 (64 inch) or do most allow access?

A few months ago we spent a little time on a rented P700 in the Mount Magazine, AR area. This is our only experience with this activity. We really enjoyed it and are now thinking about buying a Pioneer or Talon. We encountered a size barrier gate on one trail but it did not cause a problem for the P700. The guide said a P1000 would also fit but he couldn't speak to restrictions in any of the other forests in Arkansas. My guess is we'll be mostly limited to using FS trails. If the width is going to prevent us from accessing the many of the trails, I'd prefer to know that before making a purchase.

Also, if any knows of any trail maps that include the width restrictions, I'd appreciate a source. I've spent some time on the FS website without much luck. Some maps reference a 50 inch maximum on some trails but I haven't found one with definitive information for all trails. Thanks in advance for any help!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Are there any width restriction gates on Forest Service roads in Western Arkansas or Eastern Oklahoma that would prevent access to a Pioneer 1000-3 (63 inch) or a Talon 1000X-2 (64 inch) or do most allow access?

A few months ago we spent a little time on a rented P700 in the Mount Magazine, AR area. This is our only experience with this activity. We really enjoyed it and are now thinking about buying a Pioneer or Talon. We encountered a size barrier gate on one trail but it did not cause a problem for the P700. The guide said a P1000 would also fit but he couldn't speak to restrictions in any of the other forests in Arkansas. My guess is we'll be mostly limited to using FS trails. If the width is going to prevent us from accessing the many of the trails, I'd prefer to know that before making a purchase.

Also, if any knows of any trail maps that include the width restrictions, I'd appreciate a source. I've spent some time on the FS website without much luck. Some maps reference a 50 inch maximum on some trails but I haven't found one with definitive information for all trails. Thanks in advance for any help!
No restrictions that I know of YET. Other than boulders and logs on the trails. My P1 goes nicely along at stock width. Before you buy research i4WD and you be the judge. You can get the P1 without i4WD. And Welcome!

Last edited:
M

MortForShort

Jan 4, 2024
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
No restrictions that I know of YET. Other than borders and logs on the trails. My P1 goes nicely along at stock width. Before you buy research i4WD and you be the judge. You can get the P1 without i4WD. And Welcome!
This is good to hear. Hopefully I'll have a new machine and trailer in time for Spring.

Thanks for the help!

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from central Oklahoma and welcome to the club. I don't know anything about Forest Service roads, but most of the State Parks are ATV/UTV friendly for all sizes.

When you start shopping for your new Honda, I recommend you check with Maxey's Motorsports in Oklahoma City. I've been buying Hondas from them since the early 70's and have always been happy with their prices and service.

Last edited:
M

MortForShort

Jan 4, 2024
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Howdy from central Oklahoma and welcome to the club. I don't know anything about Forest Service roads, but most of the State Parks are ATV/UTV friendly for all sizes.

When you start shopping for your new Honda, I recommend you check with Maxey's Motorsports in Oklahoma City. I've been buying Hondas from them since the early 70's and have always been happy with their prices and service.
Thanks Silver. That is good to hear as I wasn't even aware they were allowed in our state parks. I'm completely new to this with a lot to learn so I appreciate it.

We've only talked to one dealer north of Tulsa so far. He left me with the impression that I shouldn't expect them or any other dealer to wiggle on Honda pricing. I've encountered that on Harleys in the past but didn't realize this was the case with these machines. I'm over in OKC occasionally and will try to drop by Maxey's the next time I'm in the area. I figure like with most toys, you have to pay to play. Thanks again!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Silver. That is good to hear as I wasn't even aware they were allowed in our state parks. I'm completely new to this with a lot to learn so I appreciate it.

We've only talked to one dealer north of Tulsa so far. He left me with the impression that I shouldn't expect them or any other dealer to wiggle on Honda pricing. I've encountered that on Harleys in the past but didn't realize this was the case with these machines. I'm over in OKC occasionally and will try to drop by Maxey's the next time I'm in the area. I figure like with most toys, you have to pay to play. Thanks again!

I can tell you where 2 P1K6’s are sitting on the dealer floor at 5k off MSRP last I looked. Discounts weren’t as good the P1K5 more like 2k-2,500 off and even less (if any) on the Talon locally though.

Shop around. Your dealer might be feeding you a line of 💩

CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Welcome from just North of ya. Another thing to consider is that you can ride your machine on almost all the roads in Oklahoma. I spend a lot of time around the Okemah area and everyone rides their machines on the county roads. You can actually tag your machine and be legal to ride. I haven't been yet, Crossbar Ranch, but plan to. Its down by Davis and there are other places around the state kinda like that, offroad parks. Good luck with your purchase. There is a dealer in Shawnee too. I bought mine in Wichita back in 19.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!