Riding in Maine width restrictions

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Hi all,

So basically in Maine the new definition for atv means that there can be no new registrations new machines over 65 inches or 2000lbs.

There is a club area called moose alley riders which looks big enough to be worth traveling to for me.

There are various areas on the maps I find online which have broken areas where a trail meets a public road. The trail resumes like a quarter mile down the road on the other side. One would think you could go down the road a minute and get back on the trail. I spoke with a couple guys that said this was accurate and there were signs saying not to go down the road and they had to turn around and backtrack for hours to get back to camp.

There was also a gate at the end of abridge made up of boulders. The bridges were wide enough for their machines but the gate at the other end required them to back up and almost fall off into a river.

The moose club site says max width is 60 inches. My pioneer 1000 is wider than 60 inches. So the club has restricted riding to smaller than the states max width on trails yet we still need a stare registration to ride on? It seems like they will lose a lot of tourism to the area.

A friend of mine has a 900s with fenders and he said he barely fit through the gates. I asked if the machine barely fit at 60 or if the fenders hit and the machine had plenty of clearance. Got different mixed answers and the guy changes his story all the time because he forgets a lot.

Has anyone here personally been riding there recently? I heard from the guys that encounteredthe bridge that Southern Maine riding is dead and not worth going south of the golden road.

If the machines fit comfortably on the trails and boulders can be moved wider then this is really to stop large hp machines from destroying the trails. A 64 inch machine can have the same hp as a 60 inch. The width and weight is not much different. What destroys the trails is people driving like animals and that could be exasperated by having a 170hp rzr. HP restrictions would make so much more sense. Unless the trails are all narrow single track atv trails which they are not.

Is it even worth going or am I going to periodically hit gates that are not on a map and have to turn around? Clearly there are some of these. I find it hard to believe that people with 64 inch machines are avoiding this whole area but maybe so. Any input is appreciated.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What destroys the trails is people driving like animals and that could be exasperated by having a 170hp rzr. HP restrictions would make so much more sense.
But do they have fire restriction signs for the RZR’s🤔 thats the question🥳😂

All kidding aside, I do agree with the RZR $hit. I see it all the time on our states trails as well.
I believe tho you need to go a bit deeper with your issue. Its starts at the Government level. Your Governor is a left wing loon. She is all about green energy, windmill's and the Lefts so called “sinsable gun control and mental health” The left is mental!
Thats a different topic for another thread.
She has a record for catering to environmental lobbyist that are for one, against “motorized” recreational vehicles. They want us to not even have them cuz of pollution they think they are putting put, but havent been very successful and have set there sites to trail restrictions but not the type you and I would like to see. What Im saying is at the immediate time there is nothing you can do about it, long term you have to get involved with the right groups and the ballot box is a good first step.!

N

NH Rider

May 8, 2022
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
You are spot on Remington. That is not my governor though I don't live in Maine; but yes she is liberal and completely ruining the state of Maine. I tried my best to leave that out of the post but I agree 110%.

With that said I some articles and interviews from atv clubs and they said the state didn't even consult with them on their new restrictions on machine width or weight. They cut out lots of machines that were 4 seaters and are used by families. They completely missed the boat with what they did.

We ride in NH on ride the wilds but want to venture to other areas. NH is getting ruinined the same way. The town of Dummer cut off a huge route which connected so many miles of trails and businesses.

I read the town meeting minutes and hardly anyone showed up. There were couple people that complained one because someone peed in the trees at the front of her property. for all we know her house could have been hundreds of feet back because there was woods in front of it for crying out loud. Then they had a town memo vote and the way it was written was the opposite of what it should mean. It looked like yes would allow riding to continue but it was really to cancel riding. Hardly anyone even voted. Pathetic.

For now we plan to still ride in NH and head out to Anthracite in PA.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!