Tire Width Effect on Stance Width?

J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
The tire does not "know" where the offset is. If you put on 1" wider tires, the tire will hang over the rim an extra 1/2" on either side of the rim. So two tires would add a total of 1" to the overall width.

I suppose it's possible for someone to design a tire with an asymmetrical cross section, but I've never seen one, and not sure why someone would go to the trouble.

Reactions: Hoosier1960 and CID
Hoosier1960

Hoosier1960

Lifetime Member
Jul 26, 2023
Indiana
Ownership

1. 500
Example:

9" wide tire on 5+2 offset, stance width 59".
How much total stance width is added by changing to a 10" wide tire?

I'm wondering if it's an additional .57" (2/7"%) of 2" or, 28.5% of 1" added each side.
A 5+2 wheel having 71.5% of rubber inside the offset, and 28.5% of rubber on the outside.

Is this correct or have I overthunk it?

(Mods, feel free of course to move this thread. I wasn't sure where to put it.)

There is a whole lot of overthinking in this thread. You have stated there is only one variable and that is the width of the two different tires. The wheels are the same, you already know the width with 9” tires. So half the distance of the difference of the width times two would equal the added width to the overall width with the 9” tires, so add one inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CID
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Measurements taken on distance from hub to outer sidewall of tire to be .5" greater on the 11" vs the 9".
Don't have a 10" tire to measure . . .

Reactions: Coeus
J

John Mc

Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2023
Vermont
Ownership

1. 520
One issue here may be that we are assuming that tires actually measure what their name indicates. That is not necessarily the case.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Measurements taken on distance from hub to outer sidewall of tire to be .5" greater on the 11" vs the 9".
Don't have a 10" tire to measure . . .
Does the P5 have different offset front to back? If so then you'll go nucking futz tying to figure it out with a 10" tire on 2 different offset wheels.....

that's where close enough comes to play......my 2 cents

Reactions: Coeus and Backwoods
futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Does the P5 have different offset front to back? If so then you'll go nucking futz tying to figure it out with a 10" tire on 2 different offset wheels.....

that's where close enough comes to play......my 2 cents

no

Reactions: Backwoods

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!