P1000 Enclosed trailer option for 1000-5

S

Sedlar734

May 8, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
it looks like I'm going to be waiting a while to get my new 1000-5 Deluxe.

in my spare time I've been looking at enclosed trailer options and I was wondering if I can get away with an enclosed trailer with a 6'6" ceiling (door opening would only be 6')

I know that I need 12' length but what about width?

I'd love to be able to get away with a 6.5' wide 6.5' tall 12' long trailer. I have a long bed pickup so I'm not worried about extra storage in the trailer and I'd like to keep it as small as possible.

trailer needs to be enclosed because I travel 3 hours north in Michigan and I want to keep the road salt off of it.

any recommendations?

thanks group!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

in my spare time I've been looking at enclosed trailer options and I was wondering if I can get away with an enclosed trailer with a 6'6" ceiling (door opening would only be 6')

I'd love to be able to get away with a 6.5' wide 6.5' tall 12' long trailer. I have a long bed pickup so I'm not worried about extra storage in the trailer and I'd like to keep it as small as possible.

trailer needs to be enclosed because I travel 3 hours north in Michigan and I want to keep the road salt off of it.

any recommendations?

thanks group!
You've got to know what your plans are for a roof and tires as they can add significant height to your machine. Width can be affected by different offset rims or wheel spacers of course. The guys will need some more insight from you before they can truly offer sound advice outside of the standard...take the SxS with you (once you get it) and make sure it fits before you commit.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

any recommendations?

thanks group!
Well......first off welcome to the club 👍
Congrats on the new toy.

I cant remember what the stock height of the P1K is but "if it fits" @6' it'll be re all tight. And if yoy plan on getting the Honda roof, that adds a few inches to the height. I think stock width is around 66".

And that size trailer would limit your machine to.......pretty much keeping it stock. No upgrade in tires, lift, wheel spacers, etc.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I would not suggest anything less than 7' tall. Also the wider the trailer the easier it will be to exit the machine when you get it loaded and while strapping it down. Also a little wider and you can store a few things you may not want to get wert while traveling.
Are you going to have tie down rings or E-track to secure the machine?
I personally don't like single axle trailers, tandem trailers are much more forgiving when you have a blowout!

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Although I'm completely happy with my single axle, it's not enclosed because of my RV's towing weight limitations. Once you go enclosed, trailer weight will become a long term issue with a single axle IMO.

If you have room to park it, bigger will pay dividends in the long run - if a lot's good, more's better and too much is just right. :cool:

So I agree with Jeremie (OMG :oops:), tandem with brakes.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

You'll end up hating a trailer that's barely large enough for your Honda SxS. It would be an expensive mistake because you'll be selling or trading it for a larger trailer.

B

BamaDave

Apr 28, 2021
South Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Make sure you have enough clearance at the door opening as the angle makes a reduction in size, even a 7' tall trailer trailer might be a problem!

Reactions: HBarlow
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I should just Bite the bullet and get a 7' wide 7' tall trailer?
YEEEESSSS... If you can swing it budget wise I would do a car hauler enclosed, width is 8-6, interior width is 8-0
7-0 height gives you a door height of 74-75”, stock height on a P1K is 71”. l ordered mine from the factory as 20-0 long with a 2-0 V nose, 8-6 wide, and 7-0 interior height with 2 5200# axels breaks on both axels. The best part about the 8-6 wide is when I put the buggy in it, I can get my fat azz out of it. I know you said small as possible, but at today’s prices and availability don’t cheap out and then regret your decision. 14-16 foot should do you well, and give you some extra enclosed storage as well. Good luck and remember... Pics or it didn’t happen.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Agree with "Ridingfool" above.

Another reason larger is better: You might want to throw a camp mattress and sleeping bag on the trailer floor in front of the buggy on off-roading weekends with friends.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

any recommendations?

thanks group!
This will sound crazy to you but you should really consider that you may haul a 2nd machine at some point. I almost bought a 12’ enclosed awhile back and I’m glad I didn’t. The last two trips I’ve pulled two 1000-5s on a 20’ trailer. Just food for thought. When I buy an enclosed it will be probably be a 24’.

B

BamaDave

Apr 28, 2021
South Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I hope you are young and somewhat slender as a 7' wide enclosed trailer is going to be tuff to get out of! I almost pulled the trigger on one and I looked at the actual space to get out and it was extremely tight! The builder suggested ordering it with a get out door (door positioned at the UTV exit point) to help me to unman the trailer. I'm still waiting one one as I want a black trailer to somewhat match my Tundra. I'll more that likely get a 8'6"x16' car hauler trailer to keep my P1k5 in which will serve duel purposes, to haul her and be a storage unit! Perhaps you can transfer your deposit to a larger unit? Good luck!

S

Sedlar734

May 8, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I hope you are young and somewhat slender as a 7' wide enclosed trailer is going to be tuff to get out of! I almost pulled the trigger on one and I looked at the actual space to get out and it was extremely tight! The builder suggested ordering it with a get out door (door positioned at the UTV exit point) to help me to unman the trailer. I'm still waiting one one as I want a black trailer to somewhat match my Tundra. I'll more that likely get a 8'6"x16' car hauler trailer to keep my P1k5 in which will serve duel purposes, to haul her and be a storage unit! Perhaps you can transfer your deposit to a larger unit? Good luck!
I'll let the wife load the side by side...she's petite 😂

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is great advice

Reactions: Mudwing and ChadD
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Heres my machine loaded a litte to the right of center.
Theres still limited space but enough for this old man to pass and exit the machine.
Also if the machine is muddy, you will be covered with mud when you exit. 20210525 200034

Reactions: Mudwing and ChadD

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!