P1000 Engine whine

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
i was wondering if the engine whine I hear is normal. It changes pitch with engine speed. Almost sounds like a belt whining or squeeling. High pitched and pretty irritating.
Everyone talks about how quiet the 1000 is.
Hope it's normal and will go away with more miles.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I either got used to it or the sound got quieter. Not sure really which one.

I can hear the differentials whine a lot. Now that I've got about 100 miles, I'm going to drain half the diff oils and add Lucas oil to fill it back up. I hope that helps like it did with the P700

Reactions: PioneerPete
S

Scooterchris

No longer active.
Dec 25, 2015
i was wondering if the engine whine I hear is normal. It changes pitch with engine speed. Almost sounds like a belt whining or squeeling. High pitched and pretty irritating.
I got used to it real quick and a matter of fact doesn't bother me one bit. The pioneer is quiet. First thing you need to do is go take a ride on a Viking or teryx. Spend the day riding with one of those then come back to your pioneer. It truly is a cadillac

Reactions: JACKAL
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
I got used to it real quick and a matter of fact doesn't bother me one bit. The pioneer is quiet. First thing you need to do is go take a ride on a Viking or teryx. Spend the day riding with one of those then come back to your pioneer. It truly is a cadillac
I used to have a Rhino, and then the Pioneer 700, which was way better than the Rhino. The 1000 is definately quieter, except for the whine. The other two did not do that.
Good to hear that it is probably normal. I am sure I will get used to it as well.
Thanks

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Anyone else have a thought on this? The whine is actually louder than the differential noise up to about 4000 rpm then gets quieter. I have listened to a few videos and can hear it just a bit, but you know how sound is in a YouTube video.
I will try to post a video later today with the whine I am describing.
Like nails on a chalkboard to me.

It kind of like this, but a little higher pitched. Best example I can find right now.

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Last edited:
KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Go test drive a 2011-13 Can Am Commander you will never even notice that whine. Not trying to bash Can Am but they put straight cut gears in those years and you can not even hear yourself think.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I bet a lot of motors make a lot of noises that you don't hear because everything else is so loud.

Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
So I stopped by a dealer today and listened to their 1000 on the showroom. Yep, same whine

I will sleep much better tonight

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I either got used to it or the sound got quieter. Not sure really which one.

I can hear the differentials whine a lot. Now that I've got about 100 miles, I'm going to drain half the diff oils and add Lucas oil to fill it back up. I hope that helps like it did with the P700
I'm with Joey. I could hear that same engine whine when mine was new. I've got about 180 miles on it, and now that its broken in some the noise has quieted considerably. The only noise I notice now is the rear diff.

Reactions: Springer
B

Bayless

May 20, 2019
Lodi, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-3

B

Bayless

May 20, 2019
Lodi, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the same problem. I would classify mine as extremely irritating. I only have 100 hours on my 2016 1000-3 ps model and I think I will have to sell it if it does not have a fix. Any help will be appreciated. I just joined today so I will search the replies and forum a little more.
My first oil change is today and I hear you can use 10-40 in my climate, CA Central Valley.
Maybe that will help. But unlike you others I will never get used to it even though I love this machine in every other aspect. Ear buds and Pandora for now!

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
dredging up an old thread. The whine everyone is hearing is the cam chain tensioner. It’s fairly common with Japanese motorcycle engines. This engine is a derivative of the Africa Twin.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I used two cheap vehicle front windshield sun shades and combined them to insulate under the seat and ran another one up behind the seat. It substantially reduced the heat issue, actually practically eliminated it, and really reduced the engine / transmission noise too, plus cut down the dust intrusion.

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are definitely quiet! I was walking across the parking lot at my local dealer and just about stepped out in front of a p1k with a huge lift and portals! I didn’t hear him until he almost ran over me. Scared the booboo out of me...

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!