P700 Eu6500is

rogerdodger

rogerdodger

Jan 18, 2015
I know that this really isn't the right place to post this question but was hoping somebody might know the answer. I have a Honda EU6500IS generator. The other night I lost power so me and my son took the generator out. We started it up, plugged it into the house, making sure all breakers were off and only turned back on a few breakers. The Volt Amp I monitor was reading 1050-1100. Ran like that for quite a while and purred like a kitten. Then all of a sudden the volt amp reading went to zero but the motor didn’t change RPM or anything. Went into the house & everything was running just fine. Generator was still putting out perfectly good energy. Went back out and watched it for a while and the I monitor started reading 1050-1100 again. It read this for a while and then went back to zero again. Checked the house and everything was still running fine. Pushed the I button on the monitor to check the voltage on the battery and it was fine. Switched it over to RPM and that also read fine. Switched it over to the hour meter and it was still reading correctly. Ran it for 7 hours, never missed a lick in the house & purred like a kitten. All night the volt amp on the I monitor would come in and out but it kept perfect track of the hours. Do you know why this might be happening? Any suggestions? Serviced the generator a couple of months ago and I put in a new Honda factory battery. The original battery which was also Honda worked just fine but it was new with the generator back in 07 so thought since I was servicing it I might as well put in a new battery. It has a battery tinder that is directly wired into the battery and plugged in when the generator is not in use. It also has a new Honda NGK plug and runs on Honda synthetic oil and airplane fuel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your assistance.

Reactions: Tramguage1
DAIII

DAIII

Jun 24, 2018
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've had something very similar happen.. I'm full solar now with batteries but the last time I had the genny on it did the same thing.. I oddly have a 75' cord on mine which have the genny in a shed with external exhaust. The cord was on the driveway and was 5' from my underground lift station and this gave feedback to the genny which caused the oddities you described. moved the cord and all was fine.
Not sure this helps or hurts. ;)

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Let me see if I understand the scope.
Your gen. is supplying what seems like uninterrupted power.
The gauge is going out intermittently?
I'm thinking it's just a sensor.

BTW: I hope you are not putting out 1100 volts or amps. Could that be Watts?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

HondaTech

Let me see if I understand the scope.
Your gen. is supplying what seems like uninterrupted power.
The gauge is going out intermittently?
I'm thinking it's just a sensor.

BTW: I hope you are not putting out 1100 volts or amps. Could that be Watts?

The gauge does display the amount to wattage being used< but for whatever reason Honda couldnt just put Watts as the symbol for that display selection. They instead put "VA", which, without some knowledge would seem like Volts/Amps but is meant to be Volts x Amps or wattage.

I'd see if maybe a shorter cord or interference could be an issue. But it could be and internal issue as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!