BOX1

EVOLUTION POWERSPORTS Talon

C

Chrisx1300

Jul 10, 2019
Mesa, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m sure a lot of you know what EVO is able to do to do to an X3 and a YXZ. Does anyone know where they’re at with Honda Talon R&D? What’s coming for the Talons as far as performance goes? I imagine one day they will be able to open these things up like a YXZ or X3.

I’d love to see a solid tune and a shocker exhaust like the X3’s and RZR’s.

SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
EVO isn't very popular on these boards from what I have seen. I run one of their exhausts and am very happy with it. The craftsmanship and welds are a work of art and it sounds the best of all my riding buddies. Bought mine through SXSBlog around Christmas. It took a few weeks but they were upfront about it. I would have gone with the captains choice option if it was available.

H

HondaTech

The issue with tuning the Talon verse other machines is the transmission.

You have to tune the shifting and everything to match the power or it most likely wont act properly.

Reactions: Isaiah
jasond

jasond

Lifetime Member
Mar 15, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yep...echoing @HondaTech on the transmission tuning. I‘d love to be able to have a reflash similar to the Jackson Racing Turbo flash except for an N/A machine where the trans could be programmed for a few more ponies and tire size.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yep...echoing @HondaTech on the transmission tuning. I‘d love to be able to have a reflash similar to the Jackson Racing Turbo flash except for an N/A machine where the trans could be programmed for a few more ponies and tire size.
Dynojet has a DCT Tune that adjusts the shifts and adds Launch Control. Might be a start that they can make work for various tire sizes.

Not sure if you can stack it onto their other tunes or not so I sent a question off to them for more clarification...

Reactions: Isaiah and jasond
GBell

GBell

Apr 21, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I have an EVO exhaust system for sale if anyone wants one for a talon. Has 1 weekend on it looks new except for the heat coloring.

20200330 185841

Reactions: Isaiah
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Dynojet has a DCT Tune that adjusts the shifts and adds Launch Control. Might be a start that they can make work for various tire sizes.

Not sure if you can stack it onto their other tunes or not so I sent a question off to them for more clarification...

Did you ever hear back from DynoJet?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you ever hear back from DynoJet?
Yes, just today finally got the last question answered. The DCT tune is basically like any of their flash tunes with some twists to make it work in conjunction with engine tunes. It is a bit complex, I will try to explain...
  1. The DCT and Engine are controlled by the same PCM and DJ locks all their tunes, so you cannot fiddle with their DCT tune at all and you cannot "stack" tunes on your own. To use their DCT tune along with an engine tune (any engine tune other than stock), you must send them the tune and they "marry" them together and send the combined tunes back to you locked together. Even your own custom tune is now locked.
  2. If the tune is yours or otherwise unlocked, you can no longer adjust it when it is married to the DCT tune. To re-tune, you must start over, make your adjustments, send them your new/adjusted tune and have them married together again. They say they will do this as many times as you want within reason but would not give me a number.
  3. The DCT tune adds Launch Control. It utilizes the "Sport" mode button so there is no wiring required. All you do to activate it is hold the Sport button for a few seconds, pull both paddles back, floor the gas and then release the paddles and GO.
  4. The DCT tune alters the upshift and downshift schedules and alters the shift torque reductions (not sure what that is) to what they determined was best in HIGH ONLY, they did not touch the Low shift tables. Reports say it is much better than stock but I have no experience. You cannot change them, the tune is locked and one size fits all.
  5. There is no adjustment for 30" or 32" tires. This to me is the biggest drawback and to me somewhat of a deal breaker. I was really disappointed that DJ didn't even consider this when writing the tune. Most owners that would even consider this upgrade will upsize their tires, why they didn't accommodate this or at least make the tune more in the center and use 30" tires as a base is beyond me.
  6. It does nothing to address the early upshifts in the sand under acceleration. They claim there is nothing they can do about that and you must use manual mode in sand, just like the stock tune.
Honestly, this is not for me right now. I have a custom tune that I am still working on and the thought of going through all of that when I need to make adjustments is not ideal. Also, I have not had luck with any canned tune at my altitude. All the canned tunes are done at or near sea level and they just don't work well for me because I ride from 5000 to 10000 feet and the higher I go the richer the run. Although the PCM does barometric compensation, it seems inaccurate so the higher you go, the worse off the tune is and no one has cracked that problem yet (and no one even seems to care to try). I am close but need more testing varied altitudes to make sure I have figured it out.

Reactions: CID and SLOWPOKE693
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well that sure sucks..... I can see if they wanted to keep their DCT tune locked, but locking your tune is bull$hit!

I really wanted to use their DCT tune to get the launch control feature along with the engine tune I come up with once it goes to the dyno. Not so sure I want to send it to them to be locked. What is the point of having an adjustable map if you cant adjust it.

Reactions: CID
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Well that sure sucks..... I can see if they wanted to keep their DCT tune locked, but locking your tune is bull$hit!

I really wanted to use their DCT tune to get the launch control feature along with the engine tune I come up with once it goes to the dyno. Not so sure I want to send it to them to be locked. What is the point of having an adjustable map if you cant adjust it.
Agreed. Not that they truly lock your tune and you can't adjust it any more, it is just the added steps involved to do so. To adjust your tune you must...
  1. Put the machine back to stock.
  2. Load your custom tune by itself.
  3. Make your adjustments.
  4. Send your updated custom tune to them so they can "marry" it back to the DCT tune.
  5. Wait for them to do their magic (how long that will that take???).
  6. Flash the married tune to your machine.
If you have to do that once in a while, maybe not so bad but if you are constantly "tinkering" then it will be a total pain in the ass.

They should have come up with a way to "stack" tunes by the end user. Looking at the software, it appears you can lock down to an individual table. Why they don't just lock the DCT parts and leave the rest unlocked is beyond me. Maybe the software just doesn't work that way.

Reactions: CID and TripleB
Slimfast

Slimfast

Apr 15, 2020
Panams city fl
Ownership

1. Talon R
when speaking with Dynojet last night i was informed the launch control only works on 2019 models. You guys have any idea why? Couldn't imagine honda changed up the pcm from 19 to 20 models. Even though I probably wouldnt launch my machine much that was one of the major sellling point to do my exhaust and programmer!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!