Exhaust leak 2019 1000-5 300 hours

M

Manjackbaja

May 21, 2020
Baja sur
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’m having continuous exhaust leaks , last time was gaskets , how can I avoid this ? Anybody know why?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Did you fix it last time or did the shop? And how many times have you had to fix it?

M

Manjackbaja

May 21, 2020
Baja sur
Ownership

1. 700-4
Last time replaced 2 exhaust gaskets, going back in shop mañana same problem getting louder, iv read some others have been related to running in water? I live and ride in deep sand on beaches of Baja and occasionally wet sand? Trying to prevent it again

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Use Ceramic heat paint on your exhaust and around the gaskets on the out side that should seal it off and help prevent Water getting in and it prevents rust

Reactions: Isaiah
t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where exactly are ya having leaks? Do you know for sure the location and how? Or just a hunch?

Reactions: Manjackbaja
M

Manjackbaja

May 21, 2020
Baja sur
Ownership

1. 700-4
At the copper donut gasket where 2 pipes join ,

t-bear

t-bear

Nov 11, 2019
NE OK
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At the copper donut gasket where 2 pipes join ,

Ah, OK. Typically either factory defect issue with surfaces, damage or heat warp.

I'm not familiar with where that is or access to that area. Have you tried to replace it yourself? My philosophy on working on motorcycles is that it is better off that I show due concern than an unconcerned mechanic. LOL.

I've got a Russian side car motorcycle and the headers to exhaust mating surfaces are notorious for leaking. This is the old compression style castle nut to threads...

I've used the Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker with very good success.

81I%2BjON27mL._AC_SY355_.jpg

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!