P700 Extra battery to use a winch

N

Nivek

Dec 30, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-2
Soooo, do I need a second battery to use a winch? I have a 21, 700-2 deluxe. I’ve been told yes and no to a second battery. Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated for sure. Thanks!

Reactions: Mudwing
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
NO... You don't need a second battery to do some winching.
The second battery is really only really needed for the 5/30 club or 10 light bar club.
If you dont have a need for any key-off accessory usage I would not install a second battery.

As for winching....
Use your head.
If you winch without the machine running of course you're going to run the battery dead.
When extreme winching, allowing proper cooling times.
Also, helps to limit accessory usage when extreme winching.

Normal winching out of a mud hole or a tree out of the way would never require a second battery.

N

Nivek

Dec 30, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well thanks so much for the quick response. I kinda had the same theory.... thanks again!

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
My set up is that I can use my main battery , second battery or both if I need too.

N

Nivek

Dec 30, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok osobad! Thanks for the input.

N

Nivek

Dec 30, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 700-2
Any thoughts on a winch size? I have the 700-2 deluxe.

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
For the occasional once in awhile use NO.
YES If your riding is a lot of off the beat path ( especially alone ) better safe than wish you had more battery.

As stated by others 4500# WINCH minimum. ( 3x the weight of machine or more )
WINCH search should include Amperage Draw Research it will help the decision if a 2nd. Battery or not.

C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
For the occasional once in awhile use NO.
YES If your riding is a lot of off the beat path ( especially alone ) better safe than wish you had more battery.

As stated by others 4500# WINCH minimum. ( 3x the weight of machine or more )
WINCH search should include Amperage Draw Research it will help the decision if a 2nd. Battery or not.
2ed that thought research your winch there is a reason warn cost so much more! The axon has the lowest amp draw I could find.
I use mine alot so rather than spend extra $$$ on a winch I added a second battery I also run lots of lights.

Dangb1

Dangb1

Oct 25, 2020
Ogema Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have a 19 700-2 deluxe running a warn 4500 winch, front led light bar, 2 led pod lights on the back hooked up to rev switch, factory heater with 2 speed blower and factory wiper. This is my second winter pushing snow with it running the winch for the plow and the led lights when its dark out along with the heater blower and it runs on the single factory battery. The volt meter drops to 11 volts when the winch is engaged which is only monetary to raise and lower the plow then goes back to 14 volts with the led lights on. During the cold months I keep a battery tender plugged in when ever its not in use, not to say it may not end up with a second battery in the near future.

R

rickoshea

make use of your snatch blocks.they reduce the load on your winch and make it alot easier on it.your winch rating is for the first row of coils around the drum and decreases from there on out.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!