Extreme heat in the trunk bed!? šŸ˜µ

pete_plp

pete_plp

Feb 15, 2021
USA
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV
Hello everyone, I have been riding for a while with a modified tractor supply box in my 1000x-4 trunk; same as @TerryH. ( See the nice video he made:)

I mainly store spare parts and miscellaneous items so I never really paid attention to it as I donā€™t need to access it that often. However I ended storing an items in it and went back to get it during a ride to realize that it was really hotā€¦. I ended noticing that the bottom of the storage box was so hot, that I could leave fingers print on the plastic!!!!! At that point I had been riding for 2-3hours in the trails and not even a full day.

As anyone noticed such heat?

I looked online to honda OEM storage and it seems that they added mount platesā€¦potentially creating a air gap ā€¦ enough to evacuate the heat?

Im thinking adding something under the box to protect against such heat but was wondering if anyone else noticed that and done something to navigate such issue

thanks in advance for your inputsšŸ™‚

7A9A1D29 FFCB 45F4 8F52 F5DACD0E5EE2 A83C486A B457 4FEE 9A88 6AB7C2B37C64

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm also running the TSC mounted with Terry's video instructions. Because I knew it would lead a rough life, I cut a piece of 1/2" plywood for the bottom (inside) so hard parts wouldn't rub through the bottom.. While this will insulate what's in the box a bit, it won't help the plastic box at all. Now I wonder how hot it gets. šŸ¤”

Reactions: Josh97stang
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hello everyone, I have been riding for a while with a modified tractor supply box in my 1000x-4 trunk; same as @TerryH. ( See the nice video he made:
)

I mainly store spare parts and miscellaneous items so I never really paid attention to it as I donā€™t need to access it that often. However I ended storing an items in it and went back to get it during a ride to realize that it was really hotā€¦. I ended noticing that the bottom of the storage box was so hot, that I could leave fingers print on the plastic!!!!! At that point I had been riding for 2-3hours in the trails and not even a full day.

As anyone noticed such heat?

I looked online to honda OEM storage and it seems that they added mount platesā€¦potentially creating a air gap ā€¦ enough to evacuate the heat?

Im think adding something under the box to protect against such heat but was wondering if anyone else noticed that and done something to navigate such issue

thanks in advance for your inputsšŸ™‚

View attachment 290604 View attachment 290605
Iā€™m sure that rack would help. I just put a piece of 1ā€ dense foam board under mine and another piece inside the floor of the box which fixed the problemā€¦

Josh97stang

Josh97stang

Sep 12, 2020
Sheridan, AR
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have a rubber mat (similar to an old rubber floormat) that I use between the TSC box and the Talon bed. My purpose was so that the bed did not rub a hole into the box. It probably helps some but I have never really checked the heat inside.

Last edited:
Reactions: CID
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have a rubber mat (similar to an old rubber floormat) that I use between the TSC box and the Talon bed. My purpose was so that the bed did not rub a whole into the box. It probably helps some but I have never really checked the heat inside.
On your next ride stick a beer butt/drunken chicken in there and it will be ready at lunchtimeā€¦.šŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Rednick69

Rednick69

Sep 10, 2020
White Hall, AR.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I have the same piece of rubber floor mat as @Josh97stang and this last ride I forgot to put it below the TSP box the inside of my box was extremely hot. It normally isn't hot like it was this last ride. So that piece of rubber must be insulating it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!