P700 Few Minor Things to Look at At Delivery of Your 2021 700-4D

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Got our new 700-4D delivered on 5/21/21. The unit runs nice and we currently have 70 miles on it.

A few issues on delivery were;

1) the oil drain plate on the skid plate under the engine oil drain was loose, all 4 bolts just finger tight.

2) the rear piece of the skid plate was installed backwards. Hole in plate did not line up with the rear differential drain plug until reversed.

3) numerous skid plate bolts were loose.

4) tire pressures were all over the place at 8# to 16#.

5) the battery was very low on charge and took 4 1/2hrs. on a 1.5 amp charger to top off.

6) the unit drove straight but the steering wheel was not aligned, we removed the wheel and reset using a 19mm socket.

All fluids were good and the rest of the machine checked out well.

True some of these could have been caught by the dealer, but many are factory issues. Only posting this to help new owners when they look over their new machine.

Last edited:
KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks. Most all bolts through the driveline and suspension had paint marks from the factory showing they were either torqued or inspected, including lug nuts. I checked a few of those and all was good.

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 2021 that I picked up in March had missing paint on the right rear.
...not just light paint, completely missing paint....bare steel.
pics comparing right side and left side
0F1F2AA3 F1A4 4956 977C 8DB16EC55837
6D030A6A A7A4 45AA BE70 09DA60A0752C

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, that sucks! If you paint it unfortunately not as good as factory powder coat. Hope it’s a bolted on part that the dealer can order a powered coated part from the factory.

Hope you send those photos to Honda Power Sports Headquarters.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
@Buckshot07
What was your solution.
I know Honda would say full frame replacement.
But I couldn't deal with that vs just spraying it myself.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
@Buckshot07
What was your solution.
I know Honda would say full frame replacement.
But I couldn't deal with that vs just spraying it myself.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I got nowhere with the dealer. He called me after I emailed him the pictures and said he would speak with the Honda Rep. I sent another email a few weeks later with no response.
Ive been sidetracked with things being crazy at work, room remodel for my daughter, and Spring planting.
Things should be settling down in the next week or two and I will be calling the dealer again.
.... I can see me taping it off and spraying it with some industrial enamel.
just p*ssed me off finding it after what they are charging for these in the current market.

....also, the fuse box lid does not stay latched. I have a piece of foam stuffed in the latch to keep it expanded and latched.

Buckshot07

Buckshot07

Dec 31, 2020
PA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well, that sucks! If you paint it unfortunately not as good as factory powder coat. Hope it’s a bolted on part that the dealer can order a powered coated part from the factory.

Hope you send those photos to Honda Power Sports Headquarters.
No unbolting. It is the rear frame.
Same machine as in your profile pic. Compare the pictures I attached to the rear of your machine. Look at the rear of each side behind the rear tires.

I don’t see how it could be powder coat. Sure looks like it was sprayed from a gun. Driver’s side has so much paint in that area that there are runs in the paint. Given powder coat is a dry film and then baked, I don’t think runs are possible but could be wrong.
Passenger side no paint.

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Prob some electro plate type paint. Seems pretty tough.

Yeah looked at my frame last night, all's painted. Unfortunately the dealer will prob end out doing just what you're going to do, rattle can paint. Also I had the same issue with the fuse box under the front hood. Played with it a bit and got the cover to hold. Cheaply done for sure!

H

HondaTech

Got our new 700-4D delivered on 5/21/21. The unit runs nice and we currently have 70 miles on it.

A few issues on delivery were;

1) the oil drain plate on the skid plate under the engine oil drain was loose, all 4 bolts just finger tight.

2) the rear piece of the skid plate was installed backwards. Hole in plate did not line up with the rear differential drain plug until reversed.

3) numerous skid plate bolts were loose.

4) tire pressures were all over the place at 8# to 16#.

5) the battery was very low on charge and took 4 1/2hrs. on a 1.5 amp charger to top off.

6) the unit drove straight but the steering wheel was not aligned, we removed the wheel and reset using a 19mm socket.

All fluids were good and the rest of the machine checked out well.

True some of these could have been caught by the dealer, but many are factory issues. Only posting this to help new owners when they look over their new machine.

Everything described here (besides the battery) are dealer installed. They are direct reflection of a dealer who doesnt take their setup and pre delivery sheet seriously.

No excuses, just laziness.

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not sure the dealer did the skid plates, or steering wheel. As for the battery, most are initially shipped to factory with less than a full charge. That being the case, with testing in the factory and not enough time to recharge with minimal running of the alternator, I can see it being low while on its way to the dealer. Being a new battery I'm sure the dealer has no interest in charging it so long as the unit starts.

H

HondaTech

Not sure the dealer did the skid plates, or steering wheel. As for the battery, most are initially shipped to factory with less than a full charge. That being the case, with testing in the factory and not enough time to recharge with minimal running of the alternator, I can see it being low while on its way to the dealer. Being a new battery I'm sure the dealer has no interest in charging it so long as the unit starts.

We install the skid plates and the steering wheel is loosely installed from the factory. The Set-Up /PDI sheet has a list of things we have to make sure are installed or operate correctly. The steering wheel is one of them, to make sure its tight and straight.

Im not trying to put anyone down, but its lazy people like your selling dealer that give everyone a bad name. We pride ourselves in providing you with units that are setup properly and operate as they should.

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for clearing up the wheel and skids. Sloppy work for sure. Hope others keep an eye on the dealers.
Honda Tech, can you post a setup/PDI sheet so as to help on delivery should the dealer be that lazy guy. Thanks!

H

HondaTech

Thanks for clearing up the wheel and skids. Sloppy work for sure. Hope others keep an eye on the dealers.
Honda Tech, can you post a setup/PDI sheet so as to help on delivery should the dealer be that lazy guy. Thanks!
Your supposed to see it when they go over the paperwork.

Its signed by the Setup guy, a QC, the service manager, and the sales manager.

I'll try and post ir once i get to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick49274

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!