P700 Finally...a rear rack for the pioneer!

T

TX_duckhunter

Nov 7, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-2
As a duck hunter, I carry a LOT of stuff in my pioneer. Got tired of having to precariously pile stuff up in the rear bed. So I found a company called 80/20 that sells cut-to-spec 1" aluminum tubing and all the various connectors you would need.

Now I'll be able to load out all my stuff on a rack that weighs ~25 lbs and doesn't look like an upside down grocery cart. Best part is it only cost me $275. Thought I would share in case anyone else was looking for some additional cargo room.

Only thing left is to bolt it to the frame with some spacers to keep it from bouncing against the roof.

IMG 0221 2 IMG 0222

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
We use 80/20 at work often to build test stations and safety cages, nice looking build.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
what connects each peice? is that plastic?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

T

TX_duckhunter

Nov 7, 2019
Texas
Ownership

1. 700-2
what connects each peice? is that plastic?

Nylon, but I'm doubling up all the connections with 45 degree metal plate brackets they sell that will join the tubing. The connectors just made assembly easy / kept the angles clean. Will say I was surprised at how sturdy it was as is though. The aluminum bars have teeth in them, and the nylon is over sized so you have to hammer them in. I couldn't pull it apart with my hands. Had to pound it with a hammer to get it back apart for some tweaking.

Reactions: Alan_Vander
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
im debating a roof rack just have to figure out how im going to make it. kinda getting ideas from everything iv been seeing.

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
Flexpipe is a cheaper version of Creform and are options as well.

80/20 or Bosch (there are others) also makes aluminum extrusions that is used extensively in the industry for assembly machines.
I just had a table built with a steel table top that holds about 2,200 lbs and rock solid.

80/20 has a website to see what is available and at what cost but you have to find a distributor to get their items.
I used Carolina Fluid Components. Guess they would ship anywhere at the same cost. They cut the extrusions for me for $1/cut +/- 1/8 inch and did a good job.

This stuff is like leggo's for adults, easy and fast to fabricate. It is easily modified if changes are needed or desired at a later time and that makes it attractive as opposed to building with steel tubing/welding.

The downside is mostly the connectors. It get pricey with brackets and connectors.
End caps add to the cost but makes it look professionally done.
Create your own bill of material and see how much it costs.
If you aren't a welder this makes a lot of sense.

If you have a saw, you can make the cuts yourself but consider UPS and FEDEX limitations on max. length of goods delivered or you will end up having it shipped with a commercial truck.

Reactions: TX_duckhunter

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!