P500 Finally, Found P520 Exhaust Rattle

G

grease monkey

Jan 24, 2022
illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
For everyone that has a P520 that has very annoying exhaust rattle above an idle and gets a lot worse at higher rpm and were looking for broken or loose exhaust shield or thinking the cat broke loose inside the muffler. Here's where my rattle was and my fix (maybe temporary. See how long hose clamp last)) for it. The exhaust pipe from the flange to the muffler is dual walled, outer pipe is welded at the muffler but not next to flange, I would imagine they did this for expansion and contraction so the pipe wouldn't break. The outer pipe has about a !/8" flange that i put a hose clamp around to the inner pipe. Wow what a difference in exhaust noise!!

P520 Exhaust Rattle

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
You sir, are my hero, I've been trying all kinds of things to isolate the pipe to stop the resonating. I'm going to put a clamp kn it right now

I did have 2 clamps around the outer pipe itself trying to stop the vibes, but all it did was change them.

J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
For everyone that has a P520 that has very annoying exhaust rattle above an idle and gets a lot worse at higher rpm and were looking for broken or loose exhaust shield or thinking the cat broke loose inside the muffler. Here's where my rattle was and my fix (maybe temporary. See how long hose clamp last)) for it. The exhaust pipe from the flange to the muffler is dual walled, outer pipe is welded at the muffler but not next to flange, I would imagine they did this for expansion and contraction so the pipe wouldn't break. The outer pipe has about a !/8" flange that i put a hose clamp around to the inner pipe. Wow what a difference in exhaust noise!!

View attachment 352234
Great find. My pipe was pretty tight at the joint. I clamped it as you did and after i let it get to temp the noise has been reduced by at least 85%. I can have a conversation beside my bike again! Thanks for sharing

Reactions: CID and Rdrcr
G

grease monkey

Jan 24, 2022
illinois
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Glad to see I'm not the only one that thought exhaust noise was excessive. Now the exhaust sounds like the day I brought it home from the dealer.

R

Rdrcr

Aug 16, 2022
WA
Ownership

1. 520
I'm gonna have to investigate this mod. My P520 exhaust rattles a little bit. It's not too bad but, its there.

On my P520, if I just put some pressure on the end muffler; push it down, or push it in towards the front of the SxS, it'll stop rattling. I'll need to check if installing a clamp is all I need to fix, or reduce the rattle.

Mike

Reactions: CID
J

Janesy

Mar 15, 2021
Ontario
Ownership

1. 500
I'm gonna have to investigate this mod. My P520 exhaust rattles a little bit. It's not too bad but, its there.

On my P520, if I just put some pressure on the end muffler; push it down, or push it in towards the front of the SxS, it'll stop rattling. I'll need to check if installing a clamp is all I need to fix, or reduce the rattle.

Mike
You'll know if you have the rattle. You won't be able to hold a conversation with the bike running.

I took my bike for a nice ride into the bear sites and after clamping the pipe. It's back to nice and quiet again.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!