P500 Flail Mower

MOPWI-PB

MOPWI-PB

Feb 21, 2019
Central-WI
Ownership

1. 500
Just ordered a Titan ATV pull behind flail mower. I’m excited to put it to work. I’ve used Kunz and Swisher rotaries in past but after researching I really think I will like the flails versatility. Does any one else run an atv flail mower? Any tips tricks or advice for a first timer.

1A08621B 4C44 428D B5E8 43B596A8CC33

M

MarkAlan

Dec 10, 2019
Huntsville, AL
Ownership

1. 500
Please let us know what you think about it. I am looking at getting one also. I would like the Rammy front mount, but the pull type would work also. The only issue for me is I will be using it on a slope. Nothing major, but there are a few iffy spots.

G

golfer1

Mar 1, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Be sure and get severeal extra flail blades. They tend to break off when they hit something hard, a safety precaution. Othere than that you should be good to go.

MOPWI-PB

MOPWI-PB

Feb 21, 2019
Central-WI
Ownership

1. 500
Update: so far so good. The below pic shows two sections of grass. Grass on right was 4” tall beforehand and Grass on left was 4-5’ beforehand. It seems like it will meet my versatility needs. Definitely requires going over twice for tall virgin grass and brush but handles everything pretty well up to and inch. After that it seems to want to wrap up instead of cut. I did push my limits and ran over a few 6” stumps to see what would happen and it bogged down and bent a few flails but at least I know what to expect if that ever accidentally happens in the future. But so far I’m pretty happy with its performance for a $2200 mower that is light and pretty versatile.

4EE746EE 41FF 4BE6 9CAB 3B27F2CA87A5

sarc201

sarc201

Jun 8, 2020
Dayton, Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Looks interesting. I too am in the market for a mower. Mostly 2-3' tall fields. How often do you have to replace the blades? How expensive are the blades? I could not find the answers to these questions on the pallet forks website link. Looks a little time consuming to replace the blades too...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have had great luck with the Swisher 44" Trailcutter mower behind a P500. It handles up to 2" saplings about 8 ft high no problem and chews right through tall grass. I have had it 4 years now and no issues at all.

20160702 112117

This had an average of 6ft tall undergrowth and this is after two passes.
20160702 152257

sarc201

sarc201

Jun 8, 2020
Dayton, Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
I see from the pic it is the four wheel version. What engine brand and horsepower?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I see from the pic it is the four wheel version. What engine brand and horsepower?
If you are referring to my post, it is the 26HP Koehler engine. They also offer or used to 16hp and finish cut variants. 6 different setups to choose from.

MOPWI-PB

MOPWI-PB

Feb 21, 2019
Central-WI
Ownership

1. 500
Looks interesting. I too am in the market for a mower. Mostly 2-3' tall fields. How often do you have to replace the blades? How expensive are the blades? I could not find the answers to these questions on the pallet forks website link. Looks a little time consuming to replace the blades too...
If your mostly doing tall grass fields it may not be the most effecient whereas a rotary mower seems to work better on tall grass. I bought the flail because I tend to do a decent amount of new trails with alot of small shrub cutting and it cuts/maintains mowed areas pretty well. I haven't ran it enough to require replacing blades yet but seems like you can buy them online for a couple dollars each. I hit a few 6'' stumps and bent a couple blades but was able to easily bend them back to position. I hit a rock in the woods and they bounced off without any notable damage. It may seem like it would take alot of time to fix or replace blades but i do like that because its on two wheels and light I can unhitch mower and prop bar onto p500 rear and then the front of the mower has plenty of space to work on flails and turn drum to fix or replace. Whereas a rotary mower takes a bit more to prop up and block or hold to remove blades. I can't say that it is the ultimate answer but so far its been working pretty good. I like how the rear roller lets me mow uneven ground but keeping the blades just up enough to keep cutting when the wheels go into a hole or in rough bumpy spots.

Reactions: sarc201
J

Japoopie23

Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2020
pittsburgh, pa
Ownership

1. 500
I have had great luck with the Swisher 44" Trailcutter mower behind a P500. It handles up to 2" saplings about 8 ft high no problem and chews right through tall grass. I have had it 4 years now and no issues at all.

View attachment 209966

This had an average of 6ft tall undergrowth and this is after two passes.
View attachment 209968
This is how i convinced my wife we needed a p500. I have a swisher 2 wheel 44" mower. "Mowing the grass and various yard work" 🤣🤣

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Didn't somebody create a threat of their DIY turf mode on a P5?

Yeah, didn't turn out so well though. Due to the short wheel base it was downright dangerous when you hit the throttle and due to the low gearing it would lunge the other way when you let off. Could be managed by most of us but if a kid or someone not used to it jumped in the drivers seat...last I heard the inventor had the whole concept and everything invested up for sale.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!