P1000 From P700 to P1000 initial thoughts

Mdtfc

Mdtfc

Mar 26, 2017
maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have about 30 miles on my new 2017 P1000-3. My main complaints with my P700 were: transmission, power, braking and no low range. The P1000 has been an improvement in each area. Initially I've been impressed with the power band and smooth transmission shifts (both up and down). My only complaint is trying to ride at low speeds (under 10 mph) its hard to stay smooth, it tends to be hurky jurky. I'm hoping I can get used to the throttle and help eliminate some of that. Ive also noticed the seat belt seems to rub my neck and is always tightening up on me so much that I have to loosen it. I never had this issue with my 700. Anyone else notice this? The gear/transmission whine is kinda loud but I've read that will go away. Over all I'm happy with the upgrade, I'm just hoping I can get used to it at slow speeds and smooth out the ride.
So far Ive installed a hard roof,mirrrir, door cup holders, windshield and gun rack. Does anyone know if Honda makes center caps for the stock steel wheels? I havnt been able to locate any online. I have a few things on order yet and Ive got tons of info from reading through this site. Next up will be some lights and winch. Thanks

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also made the jump to the 1000.
I love the power, larger cab and the ride quality. The 6 speed is something i will have to get used too also. But i really like rhe new rig.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have about 30 miles on my new 2017 P1000-3. My main complaints with my P700 were: transmission, power, braking and no low range. The P1000 has been an improvement in each area. Initially I've been impressed with the power band and smooth transmission shifts (both up and down). My only complaint is trying to ride at low speeds (under 10 mph) its hard to stay smooth, it tends to be hurky jurky. I'm hoping I can get used to the throttle and help eliminate some of that. Ive also noticed the seat belt seems to rub my neck and is always tightening up on me so much that I have to loosen it. I never had this issue with my 700. Anyone else notice this? The gear/transmission whine is kinda loud but I've read that will go away. Over all I'm happy with the upgrade, I'm just hoping I can get used to it at slow speeds and smooth out the ride.
So far Ive installed a hard roof,mirrrir, door cup holders, windshield and gun rack. Does anyone know if Honda makes center caps for the stock steel wheels? I havnt been able to locate any online. I have a few things on order yet and Ive got tons of info from reading through this site. Next up will be some lights and winch. Thanks

You will get used to the throttle. Takes some time. Or just buy a hinge and mount it to the floor and the pedal like all the others. I personally just got used to it. Didn’t take long. Congrats on the upgrade you’ll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Welcome to the forum from NW Arkansas! Congrats on the upgrade.

Reactions: sharp and Mdtfc
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Welcome and the upgrade I'm sure is very exciting...Keep us updated on your thoughts and impressions of the new machine

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome...the p1k is a great machine.like others have said the your throttle control will get better with time. And shifting will get smoother as mileage goes up. As far as seat belt go they rubbed my collar bone raw...upgraded to 4 point harnesses ...much more comfortable.

Last edited:
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad that you made the switch. You're in for a good time.

R

Rodney960

Mar 11, 2017
South
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What gun rack did you get?

Reactions: sharp
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
After the first oil change the throttle will be much better. The seat belt sucks. Had a zip tie on mine to keep it from tightening. Harnesses feel a lot better but are agrevating at first.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another Welcome from NW Arkansas -

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
J

JTW

Like everyone else said.. you'll get use to the throttle. I keep a couple of these clammed on my over head gun rack. When I'm on an actual ride and wearing my seatbelt I just take one of the little clamps and put it on the seatbelt strap at the buckle.
It works great and doesn't let it cinch down so tight but still operates as it should. IMG 4796

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
nice. I made the switch not long ago as well and its very much worth it. I found keeping it in manual helps alot. If the under seat heat gets bad for you, there is a cover in the back you can remove that a lot of people say helps with the 1000-3. dual battery is a good idea if you are gonna run many accessories. also vent lines and intake should be looked at if you ride in any water at all (even if its not intentional)

Reactions: ohanacreek
Mdtfc

Mdtfc

Mar 26, 2017
maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-3
nice. I made the switch not long ago as well and its very much worth it. I found keeping it in manual helps alot. If the under seat heat gets bad for you, there is a cover in the back you can remove that a lot of people say helps with the 1000-3. dual battery is a good idea if you are gonna run many accessories. also vent lines and intake should be looked at if you ride in any water at all (even if its not intentional)

A stealth snorkel kit is on my list of things to do, I do drive through the creek at the farm regularly so I guess the vent line relocation might be worth it. As far as the heat goes I was going to get the insulation kit that goes under the seat but Ill check into the panel removal you mentioned. Anyone have a link to a thread?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!