P500 Front CV axle Disassembly Question

Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
Is there a trick to separating the cv axle shaft from the outer cv joint? The inner is simple, you just remove the retaining ring, slide out the bearing assembly and remove the snap ring. The outer cup has no retaining ring and I can't see a recessed area providing access to an inner clip like on some atvs. Is this just a bigger hammer situation or is there a special puller or other tool? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Reactions: Smitty335
Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Because I am doing something completely different that will require a custom length shaft and I need the stock one for R&D purposes. I bought a cheap used one on Ebay for just this purpose but I can't get the damn thing apart so far.
Ahhh....understood.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
How it goes together (and why you cant take it apart):
The cage is put in at 90* to its normal orientation.
The inner star is inserted - sometimes the cage has a set of larger windows to install the star.
As the cage and star are rotated in to position as the balls are installed.
The axle is inserted, there is a C-clip that snaps in to the holds the axle.
(once the axle is installed, the inner star can not rotate enough to let the balls out)

The C-clip is the problem.
It can take 3,000lb of force to get the C-clip to let go.
Speaking generically, I have heard of people holding the axle and striking the inner star to get it to release.
This is not a honda sanctioned method and can result in damaged parts.

Jbratt78

Jbratt78

Feb 23, 2022
Spring, TX
Ownership

1. 520
How it goes together (and why you cant take it apart):
The cage is put in at 90* to its normal orientation.
The inner star is inserted - sometimes the cage has a set of larger windows to install the star.
As the cage and star are rotated in to position as the balls are installed.
The axle is inserted, there is a C-clip that snaps in to the holds the axle.
(once the axle is installed, the inner star can not rotate enough to let the balls out)

The C-clip is the problem.
It can take 3,000lb of force to get the C-clip to let go.
Speaking generically, I have heard of people holding the axle and striking the inner star to get it to release.
This is not a honda sanctioned method and can result in damaged parts.
Thank you for the information, that is very helpful. I think I know the next step in this little adventure now.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!