P500 Front pinion seal leak hp 500

H

hponda

Sep 15, 2015
Hello
I am a new member to the forum. I recently purchased a 15 hp 500. I noticed a leak on the front pinion seal the machine has less than 200 miles its really disappointing. I also have a grinding sound coming out of the rear end. I read where someone said they thought Honda put a hand full of gravel in the rear end, that's what mine sounds like. Has anyone had the same problems I am looking for some advice.
I do love this machine I have a lot of confidence in Honda products hope this one works out.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
welcome to the forum hponda the best suggestion is to take it back to the dealer warranty should cover the leaking seal and if the rear end is coming apart that also if not then the seal should be an easy fix you might drain the rear end and see if it is coming apart or is full of oil atleast

H

hponda

Sep 15, 2015
welcome to the forum hponda the best suggestion is to take it back to the dealer warranty should cover the leaking seal and if the rear end is coming apart that also if not then the seal should be an easy fix you might drain the rear end and see if it is coming apart or is full of oil atleast
Thank you I will be taking it to a dealer for repair. I checked the rear differential oil and it is good. The sound may just be a honda pioneer 500 sound. I purchased a hp500 service manual to see how hard to change the front pinion seal it does not show a specific procedure to change the seal. The leak is not bad but it is there, with a hundred miles of use there is some oil on the skid plate, but the oil level is still up. I am hoping that it will stop but I know better. I will put a few more miles on it and hope for the best. Hoping someone with a similar problem could shed some light on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
willeh_ca

willeh_ca

Aug 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you I will be taking it to a dealer for repair. I checked the rear differential oil and it is good. The sound may just be a honda pioneer 500 sound. I purchased a hp500 service manual to see how hard to change the front pinion seal it does not show a specific procedure to change the seal. The leak is not bad but it is there, with a hundred miles of use there is some oil on the skid plate, but the oil level is still up. I am hoping that it will stop but I know better. I will put a few more miles on it and hope for the best. Hoping someone with a similar problem could shed some light on this.

My machine had a leak on the front diff @ 6hrs. It was the housing where the pinion bearing would bolt to the rest of the front diff. There was an o ring in there that was pinched in two places from the factory. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

H

hponda

Sep 15, 2015
My machine had a leak on the front diff @ 6hrs. It was the housing where the pinion bearing would bolt to the rest of the front diff. There was an o ring in there that was pinched in two places from the factory. Dealer fixed it under warranty.
May I ask how long it took the dealer to fix the leak, and thank you for the information. Mine only leaks a few drops on a sixty mile ride was yours worse than that.

willeh_ca

willeh_ca

Aug 14, 2015
Ownership

1. 500
May I ask how long it took the dealer to fix the leak, and thank you for the information. Mine only leaks a few drops on a sixty mile ride was yours worse than that.
4 days tear down to pick up. As soon as I saw the skid was oily I took it in. 6hrs from new I was irate and wasn't going to keep driving it. The dealer was great but I was disappointed that my new Honda had leaked so early.

H

hponda

Sep 15, 2015
4 days tear down to pick up. As soon as I saw the skid was oily I took it in. 6hrs from new I was irate and wasn't going to keep driving it. The dealer was great but I was disappointed that my new Honda had leaked so early.
I know the feeling it sure took the fun out of it. I bought my hp500 in August so I figure I have a year warranty, if the leak does not get any worse I will keep using it until the weather gets cold then get it fixed. I want to put a winch on but the leak has ruined any desire to put more into this machine until it is fixed. I bought my Honda out of state so I hope to find a close dealer to fix it. Thank you for the information it makes me feel like this problem can be fixed.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!