P700 General break0in questions

mtarallo

mtarallo

Aug 31, 2016
FL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi Guys - thanks for looking. I am new to the SXS scene and purchased a 2016 700-4. We love it and it does what we need, but I have some concerns about some initial things I am noticing and not sure if they are normal or if there is an issue. If I bring it in to the dealer and there is nothing wrong with it, they will charge me $95. So I figured I would check with the experienced crew.

I only have 14 hours on it, but very little mileage and I believe my first maintenance interval is at 20. I was told by some not to worry so much about the hours and keep track of the miles. I have the 1 year factory warranty and a 4 year extended, so I am covered. We use it for light work around our property and some trail riding. Everything is still very clean and solid. It starts up immediately and idles well.

• We noticed the brake(s) - make a squeal / grinding type noise which does not sound very good, but I believe I saw that this was normal on other sites but wanted to verify with others. This does not happen when braking slowly only when pressing harder on the brake pedal.

• Putting it into gear sometimes is not easy - I don't want to force the shifter but sometimes you need to pull down hard to put it into gear. To me I would assume it should always shift smoothly.

• I assume much of the door rattling and overall rattling / vibration is normal.

• Exhaust - there is a noticeabl exhaust odor, I am not sure if this is normal, if it was the gas I used, or if it is still breaking in etc. Anything to look for here?
I appreciate your input - thanks for your time.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
welcome @mtarallo

My breaks have never made any noise. If that continues you should probably check them or have them checked.
Gear shifting gets easier as it breaks in. My advice is don't be gentle, it's a Honda. Throw it in gear and go.
My bed squeaks a little but my doors are silent. Check to see if they need adjustment. Do they open and close smoothly?
The exhaust smell is more likely paint burning off. That is normal and will stop very soon.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Everything is normal for a new machine except the brakes. They shouldn't make any noise. Squeaks and rattles can be adjusted out, and the exhaust smell will go away soon as Gator said. As for your hours and miles, I would say stick to what the manual says unless you have the key turned on without the motor running a lot (the hour meter runs while key is on even if motor is off). You could try spraying some lube on the shift linkage but what you describe is just how these trannys are. It's normal to have to throw it in gear in a forceful fashion.

I'm basically backing up everything @Gator said I guess.

mtarallo

mtarallo

Aug 31, 2016
FL
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thank you both you replying and the information. Have a great week.

Reactions: Tflynn
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
My rear brakes make noises sometime, maybe when they are wet. I'm not really sure.
Yeah I hear some noise out of mine occasionally. It usually goes away pretty quickly though. It definitely doesn't stay around for prolonged periods.

D

DMZeisloft

Dec 12, 2016
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hi Guys - thanks for looking. I am new to the SXS scene and purchased a 2016 700-4. We love it and it does what we need, but I have some concerns about some initial things I am noticing and not sure if they are normal or if there is an issue. If I bring it in to the dealer and there is nothing wrong with it, they will charge me $95. So I figured I would check with the experienced crew.

I only have 14 hours on it, but very little mileage and I believe my first maintenance interval is at 20. I was told by some not to worry so much about the hours and keep track of the miles. I have the 1 year factory warranty and a 4 year extended, so I am covered. We use it for light work around our property and some trail riding. Everything is still very clean and solid. It starts up immediately and idles well.

• We noticed the brake(s) - make a squeal / grinding type noise which does not sound very good, but I believe I saw that this was normal on other sites but wanted to verify with others. This does not happen when braking slowly only when pressing harder on the brake pedal.

• Putting it into gear sometimes is not easy - I don't want to force the shifter but sometimes you need to pull down hard to put it into gear. To me I would assume it should always shift smoothly.

• I assume much of the door rattling and overall rattling / vibration is normal.

• Exhaust - there is a noticeabl exhaust odor, I am not sure if this is normal, if it was the gas I used, or if it is still breaking in etc. Anything to look for here?
I appreciate your input - thanks for your time.
My doors also rattled a bit but I purchased 1" diameter adhesive-backed felt pads and glued them to the door at the point where the rubber boot contacts the door when closed and this added enough tension on the boot to keep it from rattling.
My new 700-4's brakes also chatter very loudly when pressing pedal hard going down steep inclines and I need a fix for this for hunting.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!