P700 Honda pioneer 700 4 seater killing starting motors and running rough with questions :)

J

JCTG

Jul 29, 2016
St John's Newfoundland Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
Team Honda SXS Looking for some help …… Story time

Trying to help out my Brother in-law with his 2015 Honda Pioneer 700 4 seater.

He is having 2 separate issues, it is eating starting motors and its running like crap.

The bike got 5 years out of the OEM starter until the two long bolts backed out causing the spline on the armature to wear off. Replace with an amazon aftermarket starter that lasted 6 months and the spline worn off again. Replaced with a different aftermarket starter bought at honda dealer along with OEM Honda toque limiter sprag bearing.

Enter issue #2 while driving around the idle changed and the bike shut off, restarted and would not stay running so extended throttle cable adjustment causing it to rev high had to shut off to change gears Returned throttle cable to original position, went on a ride and the bike fouled a plug, blamed it on old gas, drained gas replaced with new, now blowing allot of black smoke. Tested compression 60 psi, manual says 80psi on turn over. Took top end apart, piston and cylinder looks good, honed to put cross hatch back on cylinder, replaced rings and gaskets lapped valves. The exhaust valve was heavily carboned up and pitted adjusted as per spec. Inspected cam and questioned auto decompressor workings, it seams to be solid when pushed down but move it slightly and it compressed, I know this works on centrical force….. but it might be correct. Assembled new ngk spark plugs tested coil, still 60 psi. forgot to top up coolant in machine, started and it got hot causing the magnets in the starter to explode killing starter (starter #4). Leak down test holds 25psi, used 3 different compression testers all said 60psi Took top end apart again and inspected for damage did not find any. The timing line on the top cam gear does not go horizontal perfectly with case its like its ½ a tooth out so we put it in the direction of the engine rotation.

We figured out the starting motor issue, it is only held down by two bolts on the back and goes in a hole in the front. The hole in the case is worn or the starting motor housing male end is machined smaller allowing that end of the motor to move around killing the spline. Heat also plays a big part in the health of the motor as we tried to make one out of all the parts and used a torch to try and melt the glue that holds the magnet to the steel housing. Steel housing expanded and magnet exploded. Question is how to fix this movement? Install thicker O ring, apply jb weld to case, install brass shim, devise a way to secure front of motor.

The bike is still running like crap took out the IACV idle air control valve it was rotten cleaned, took sending unit out of tank filter is dark but thank was clean, ordering a new filter today, blew out fuel line, took throttle position sensor off and inspected, took injector out and sprayed into bottle, cleaned sensor in airbox. Brother in-law says the bike flashed code 23 or 24 for the O2 he replaced with a OEM Honda one still has code. He also said it blinks code 9

Open to suggestions comments advice

Reactions: Lady01
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Soinds like a timing issue, whether mechanical or ignition.

Reactions: Lady01 and JCTG
J

jguidry

Mar 25, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’m having same issue with starter, plus another issue, the starter 31200-hn8-003 will Not fit into the hole where it goes. I am stumped and can’t figure out what to do. The pioneer is a 2017 700-4 and I can’t figure out which starter to actually fit. Everything else was the same so I took the old face and put it on the new starter but it didn’t last very long.

another thing is that it turns over a lot before starting..... which I think is what is burning up the starters.

J

JCTG

Jul 29, 2016
Ownership

1. 700-4
Heat kills starters, the constant running trying to start might be the issue. On my brother-in-laws the case was worn where the starting motor went allowing it to move causing the mesh of the gears to be inconsistent stripping out the starting motor spline. Back cover is ordered.

We have been looking at the IAC valve (idle air control valve) and removed it it was rotten we also have a new one on order.

I this this the iac valve acts as a choke when starting. Like on a carburetored machine. This p700 has a throttle body (I might be wrong)

J

jguidry

Mar 25, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-4
yes, the hole is actually smaller than the starter, thus not allowing it to fit. the old one fits but not very snug.

Also, a guy on another forum said he was having the same issue as a lot of people, burning up starters and slow starts, he said he got it fixed and the mechanic explained it this way:
there's a torque reducer which reduces the compression on startup considerably in order to allow the starting system to start the engine with much less strain. Once the engine is running the compression returns to normal. He changed it and it worked great after that.

N

NickM696

Feb 28, 2021
Australia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hey did you end up sorting out the starter issue?
I have seen a couple of these machines in Australia go through a couple of starter motors also. The couple I have seen have actually worn the inside of the sub transmission case where the starter motor runs and allows the starter motor to move that slight amount when starting and destroys the insides of the starter motors and the sub transmission case has to be replaced. With the starter motor out of the case, run your finger inside where the starter motor runs and you should be able to feel grooves in the case if it is worn.
Hope this helps

J

JCTG

Jul 29, 2016
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks for the reply

As far as I know a rear engine case has been ordered to replace the worn hole where the starter goes into the motor

I will update once I found out more

R

Rjrideout

Apr 14, 2021
Canada
Ownership

1. 700-4
Replaced the Sub transmission rear cover, the torque limiter and the one way (sprag ) bearing. Have starter the machine at least 30 times so far and no issues with the starter!!
I set the timing on the cam shaft sprocket and adjusted the valves to spec, and still having an issue with idle so I replaced the Idle air control valve.
This did not fix the idle issue so I tested both iacvs and every time the key is turned off then on the is very resets to 7 turns out.
I manually rotated the drum back to 4 turns out and the machine will idle pretty good but I can’t plug it back in or the computer will reset it to 7 turns out when I activate the key.
Still investigating this idle issue

K

kansasmumford

Aug 9, 2021
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
In response to your idle issue..... Mine started Running like absolute c*** out of nowhere and for the life of me could not figure out why. Then one morning I had a hunch just to feel behind the Muffler wallet was running and it turns out it was completely plugged. So I took them up for a off and sure enough there was a baffle broke off inside rattling around.

Reactions: Glock21user
K

kansasmumford

Aug 9, 2021
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4
In response to your idle issue..... Mine started Running like absolute c*** out of nowhere and for the life of me could not figure out why. Then one morning I had a hunch just to feel behind the Muffler wallet was running and it turns out it was completely plugged. So I took them up for a off and sure enough there was a baffle broke off inside rattling around.
2nd this comment 100% Same exact thing happened to me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!