R

rafstar01

May 30, 2024
North Benton, Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hello,

I have a 2024 Honda Pioneer 500.

It has about 55 hours on it and about 580 miles.

It runs great up to 37 mph.

From 38 mph to max speed (approx. 40 mph) there is a brief (about 1 second) hesitation in the engine power. It recovers to max power quickly (about 1 - 2 seconds) and then goes through another hesitation cycle.

I cleaned the air filter and it did not solve the problem.

I checked for a fuel filter, but I understand it is in the fuel pump.

I do not run premium or non-ethanol gas. I am running the gas grade recommended in the owner's manual.

I have attached a video so you can hear the change in the engine sound.

As a side note, I just changed the engine oil. To my knowledge, I did not have this issue before the oil change. However, this is my wife's toy and I do not drive it that much.

TIA

Bob

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Sounds like it’s hitting its top-speed limiter. That’s how the P500 is supposed to behave at those speeds. How fast do you want to go?

Mike
I agree that you are probably just hitting the speed/rev limiter. I have a 2016 P5, and it hits the limiter at about 42 to 43 MPH. I recall that at some point Honda lowered the top speed in newer models. Taller tires will fool it into going a litter faster, but I would not recommend it.

Reactions: CID
SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
By the way, welcome to the club. You should post an "introduction" when you get a chance, and pictures.

Reactions: Rdrcr and CID
Todd627

Todd627

HondaSxS Club Stress Management Director
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 4, 2018
MI
Like the others have said, sounds like it is bouncing off the rev limiter to me.

R

rafstar01

May 30, 2024
North Benton, Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

I will change the spark plug just to be safe. But the rev limiter makes a lot of sense.

I was concerned that I did something when I did the oil change as I am not mechanical.

Thanks for having a great website and all the great people that help us neophytes.

Bob