P500 Getting More Travel

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Anyway to get more? Hit some hills and a real back killer.
Remove the shocks?

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
Smaller diameter rims, larger diameter tires will help soak up some of the bumps, but there is a trade off, when taking high speed corners there is more roll on the tire cuz of the higher sidewall and more chance of tipping over. Just an idea. I live in Maine and the roads are hell, I have had a few cars w/ 17" rims & low profile tires. I get 16" rims and put on a set of 65 series tires and it helps, you just have to drive differently.

J

jay dawge

Oct 6, 2015
are your shocks bottoming out? if you are bottoming out, make sure your rear shocks are adjusted to the stiffest setting.

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Anyway to get more? Hit some hills and a real back killer.
Remove the shocks?
I took off the rear sway bar, made a big difference, also realized when riding trails with deep washboards in them, the faster you hit them, the less you feel them,l literally fly over them.
(the scary thing is my wife figured out the faster the better)

Last edited:
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I took off the rear sway bar, made a big difference, also realized when riding trails with deep washboards in them, the faster you hit them, the less you feel them,l literally fly over them.
(the scary thing is my wife figured out the faster the better)

I believe I have heard that mentioned before around here.
And I'm still trying to the wife to come riding. Then its a go on a 1000 with no having to hear nothing

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The biggest challenge is keeping the width at 50" while improving suspension travel. Those short A-Arms simply have only so much of a usable arc for travel. That being said you have 3 options to improve the suspension.

1. Get a set of shocks from King etc. that have better damping & anti bottoming properties,
2. If you go the entirely new shock route just as well try to get shocks that are 1" longer eye to eye with a 1" or more stroke, this could add another 1-2" of travel while giving 1" more of ground clearance. The key here is to not bind the CV joints by putting them at too much of an angle.

3. If 50" width & money isn't a concern get a +4 to +6 inch long travel kit made with 4 new longer A-Arms, longer axles, better shocks, steering linkage etc. You would end up 54"-58" wide but could go to 9"-12" of suspension travel pretty easy that way. the only two hurdles are no one had fabbed up a kit yet and the cost.

Someone like SuperATV may be a resource to get any of the above accomplished.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!