ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am maybe interested in camping trips with my 700/4. Does anyone here have any experience with a roof-top tent?

I see north Texas and I’m not sure of your terrain.

They are very heavy and high up, the 700 is already tippy relative to the 1000. If you’re riding a lot of roads and flat trails you should be ok.

I might consider a hammock or a trail trailer if you’re set on a tent and you’re riding off camber trails

Reactions: Isaiah
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I see north Texas and I’m not sure of your terrain.

They are very heavy and high up, the 700 is already tippy relative to the 1000. If you’re riding a lot of roads and flat trails you should be ok.

I might consider a hammock or a trail trailer if you’re set on a tent and you’re riding off camber trails
Good thoughts on your part, about being "Tippy"! Just trying to start conversation on the camping aspect.

Reactions: Isaiah
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've had a couple RTT's and I agree they are big and heavy. @BigOL3 had an interesting set up he made a folding bed out the back but I was considering other options as well like even mounting something like this Kamp-Rite but make some extendable legs for it.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had one of the smallest footprint made at the time with unfolded dimensions of 4x8'. Folded away it was 4x4x1.5 thick. Big bulky and difficult to mount t and would not recommend mounting it on anything without a much wider wheelbase. Where we ride, it'd get trashed on the trails.
I had a RTT before I got my truck camper. There are clamshell types of RRT's with a hardened shell but are mounted in their full length with only the top rising straight up.
9AA551FE 97E1 4B0F B791 6C48E4C7B1E5 1 105 c

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
A dozen or so of us love to go camping. But we are more overlanding style than "glamping".
Hammock is the best route for space savings.
The "honda hotel" is a good option too. Just a flat board in the back extending the bed 2-3ft so you can lay back there. With a tarp over top. Down side is you have to empty the bed.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
A dozen or so of us love to go camping. But we are more overlanding style than "glamping".
Hammock is the best route for space savings.
The "honda hotel" is a good option too. Just a flat board in the back extending the bed 2-3ft so you can lay back there. With a tarp over top. Down side is you have to empty the bed.
Yeah I guess that I should have called my idea overlanding, do to the "Tippyness"! I am playing with the idea for the September Colorado ride. If the Man upstairs allows me to make this event.

Reactions: Backwoods
R

rickoshea

tent cot is the way to go,along with a campchef campstove/oven.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good thoughts on your part, about being "Tippy"! Just trying to start conversation on the camping aspect.

What @Hondasxs said.

The lighter and the lower the weight can be kept the more capability you will keep and the more stable the machine will be.

I have been trimming the fat off of mine and moving the weight that remains lower and/or toward the center. All the accessories start to add up.

Hammocks are light and compact. If you have trees or something to tie to you can use the ROPS or another machines ROPS. The “Honda hotel” is great too and cheap, but the bed has to be emptied to set it up. It’s all personal preference.
Some just use regular tents. Some even use kiddie tents.

Reactions: BWAF and BigOL3
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Prime example (@scott ). As long as you've got 1 tree/anchor point and your machine you are good to go with the hammock setup.

Reactions: JenElio and scott
advertisement
J

JTW

I second a good hammock setup for camping on the trail. Hammocks are great if it’s just you.. obviously don’t work as well for a family thing. Hammock gear is a very “buy once cry once” “you get what to pay for” way of camping. Good hammock gear will really make the difference in the nights sleep you get.

BA1BD869 6027 4EFF B4E5 A94A2299D61A

Reactions: TripleB

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!