Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any hvac techs feel like watching a quick 1 minute video? Suggest what i can check?
Furnace comes on, ignitor glows red, gas valve opens and burners light. After a few seconds the burners shut off. Any suggestions what i can check/replace?
Currently waiting on my youtube video to upload. Will edit when i have a link.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Number one it's a Goodman replace it 😂 JK

To the right hand side of the burners at the top there should be a single wire going to what is the flame sensor. Remove the flame sensor out of the burner box and clean it with preferably some steel wool to get the darkness and the debris out of it so it's almost shiny again. It looks to me as if it is dropping out on flame sense. Once you've done that and that doesn't solve it then we need to look at it a little further

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thank you sir! I will shut it down and do it now.
No problem! LmK how it goes and if u have any questions?
Just don't take out the HSI (ignitor) on the left side the thing that glows orange and try to clean it or u will need one of those! Thats working fine so leave it alone ;)

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well, that worked! I only had a piece of ultrafine scotchbright and cleaned with that. Should i stock any parts for this thing?
Good deal!
Nope you should be good. There's the hsi, pressure switch, control board and inducer assembly as the main components that generally go wrong with them. You can get them to have on hand but not necessary to spend money on all that and may not use most of it before you change the furnace some day. I'd just wait till u have an issue then get the part. Pro tip: Put a fresh filter in there while your at it ;)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another fine example of how this site can answer a ridiculous amount of questions when asked well and you’re willing to listen to the advice given.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another fine example of how this site can answer a ridiculous amount of questions when asked well and you’re willing to listen to the advice given.
I knew someone here would send me the correct direction, and in under 10 minutes from the time i hit post new thread, it was solved and working.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
The only part I'd suggest you keep a spare on hand would be the igniter. Those get brittle and crack and you can't fix them like you just fixed the flame sensor. You'll know that happens when it doesn't "glow" orange when the furnace is starting up. That's cheap and easy to keep on hand, and will get you back up and running in minutes rather than hours or longer.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The only part I'd suggest you keep a spare on hand would be the igniter. Those get brittle and crack and you can't fix them like you just fixed the flame sensor. You'll know that happens when it doesn't "glow" orange when the furnace is starting up. That's cheap and easy to keep on hand, and will get you back up and running in minutes rather than hours or longer.
Good point, but I might add that he has the newer nitride HSI. Theyread a very low ohms resistance reading and are rare to go out. Possible but rare. That's why I didn't suggest it. The old style hsi, then yes to have one on hand. I usually change those out with a universal Nitride on service calls to save the customer heartaches. Just a jurnymans .2

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Number one it's a Goodman replace it 😂 JK

To the right hand side of the burners at the top there should be a single wire going to what is the flame sensor. Remove the flame sensor out of the burner box and clean it with preferably some steel wool to get the darkness and the debris out of it so it's almost shiny again. It looks to me as if it is dropping out on flame sense. Once you've done that and that doesn't solve it then we need to look at it a little further
Looks like the flame sensor comes in from the top of the burner box on the left side with the ceramic insulator protruding into the burner box? Remi did it look like the electrode was warped away from the flame to you, your eyes are a lot better than mine.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Looks like the flame sensor comes in from the top of the burner box on the left side with the ceramic insulator protruding into the burner box? Remi did it look like the electrode was warped away from the flame to you, your eyes are a lot better than mine.
No, what u were looking at was the HSI (ignitor) at the left side. When the vidgea starts, stop it as he starts to move the camera to the front. There u get a good look at the top of the burner box. There are 2 ceramic style rods at the top. The one to the left has 2 wires, thats your HSI and the one to the right has 1 wire and that is your flame sensor.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Smitty335
A37097A2 BB3B 488F BC1F 09B885988FB5

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hsi (ignitor) glows orange
CCB231F8 268E 4B3C 8655 B3A0325462D6

Flame sensor
233FE8A6 78B8 4F77 BB41 5D593F21702A

don't mix them up!
2 very different parts that do 2 different things. Hint…the hsi is delicate!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
No, what u were looking at was the HSI (ignitor) at the left side. When the vidgea starts, stop it as he starts to move the camera to the front. There u get a good look at the top of the burner box. There are 2 ceramic style rods at the top. The one to the left has 2 wires, thats your HSI and the one to the right has 1 wire and that is your flame sensor.
I told you your eyes are better than mine! HA!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!