Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Not much been to busy not the filter 04 doesn't have one, not relay ,not out of gas, sometimes electrical is get hot and craps out

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Crank and cam sensors can cause this trouble. Most I've had bad on my gm trucks have been intermittent issues and are a pita. I'm also dealing with some similar issues on my 01 8.1l truck. I've replaced the fuel pump, relays have full tune up and it still does it. Mine also occasionally will act as if its starved for fuel on start up.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There’s the problem...
View attachment 140400
You just had to go there!!! I'll play Acdf763a2b70d3d6a3203f654ee745f9

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Crank and cam sensors can cause this trouble. Most I've had bad on my gm trucks have been intermittent issues and are a pita. I'm also dealing with some similar issues on my 01 8.1l truck. I've replaced the fuel pump, relays have full tune up and it still does it. Mine also occasionally will act as if its starved for fuel on start up.
If it cool it starts right up but soon as it get hot your done

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Not sure if the ls powered trucks do it but the previous gm setups used 2 different sensors to monitor engine temp. One for the ecm and the other for the gage. If the one for the ecm was off it will change timing and the fuel as if the engine is still trying to get up to operating temp. The older trucks will run like hell when it happens.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure if the ls powered trucks do it but the previous gm setups used 2 different sensors to monitor engine temp. One for the ecm and the other for the gage. If the one for the ecm was off it will change timing and the fuel as if the engine is still trying to get up to operating temp. The older trucks will run like hell when it happens.
Dont know could be

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I worked on a early duramax that would die once engine was up to temp, and through a cam pos. Sensor code. It wasn’t the sensor but the electrical connector to the sensor, the way the pin folds over inside the plug, it had lost its pressure to stay tight on the pin of the sensor. Does it give you a code when it dies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2

Has that code been pulled? At this point, there's almost certainly a missfire code, but may be something else to help. It kinda sounds electrical to me.
Best thing to do is head to the parts store and rent a fuel pressure tester, and buy one of those cheap in-line spark testers. Then run it and see which one goes missing.

Last edited:
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has that code been pulled? At this point, there's almost certainly a missfire code, but may be something else to help. It kinda sounds electrical to me.
Best thing to do is head to the parts store and rent a fuel pressure tester, and buy one of those cheap in-line spark testers. Then run it and see which one goes missing.
With a broken hand and county fair this week no time I just took it to the guy :(

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I worked on a early duramax that would die once engine was up to temp, and through a cam pos. Sensor code. It wasn’t the sensor but the electrical connector to the sensor, the way the pin folds over inside the plug, it had lost its pressure to stay tight on the pin of the sensor. Does it give you a code when it dies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Made it to town with it today about 7 miles after dying three times and it finally said the dash reduced horsepower

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Made it to town with it today about 7 miles after dying three times and it finally said the dash reduced horsepower

I think DG nailed it, electrical issue. I had one that did that and it was a partially bare wire at the fire wall shorting out. You could shut it off and wait 5 mins., fire it up and it would run fine.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That what I'm afraid of something hard to find !

I absolutely hate electrical s***. My worst ever was also the easiest but I couldn’t find it forever. Had a old Camry that was probably my best car ever I didn’t even hardly do oil changes to it.
One day in the morning it wouldn’t barely turn over. Checked batt and it had dead cell so replaced it no biggie. Same thing week later. Checked alt and it was putting out 14.3. Checked absolutely everything was all solid. Replacement battery all good again. Over and over again.
I finally realized on the short trips to work it was fine even in the dark with everything on but anytime I went distance after work it killed it. So I tested alternator after a 40 mile drive and there was barely 9 volts. Damn thing quit working when it got warm. Never seen that but took me months to figure out.

advertisement