Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
I have been looking for one of these if anyone sees a nice one for cheap. Toyota FJ40

View attachment 165215

811f0aa4e29bbe69e55f1578f319f630

Got this for ya project Don.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Finally got some Jeep pics. I'm not a Jeep guy so not sure the model, but I went to drop off my trailer and it was sitting outside this time. What is it @JTW
View attachment 165148 View attachment 165149 View attachment 165150
I'm no expert, but...
It's a YJ. Aka, the "yuppie shopping jeep", or "Wrongler". 1987-1995 (technically, there is no 1996 Wrangler).
It replaced a legend (the CJ), and as such, was always going to fail in some eyes. It was a step backwards as far as off road ability in stock form, but much more stable (ie-safer) to drive, and with greater comfort and refinement ( in terms of traditional jeeps, those terms should always be considered relevant to other versions ).

Most of the diehard CJ off road guys hated them, leading to the once popular saying of "Real Jeeps have round headlights", but as the supply of old CJs diminished, people started looking closer and found the the YJ was really just a slightly lowered CJ with square headlights and extra suspension bars. And a frame that doesn't crack. And a better engine (in later years). And gauges that usually work, and...so on, so on...

A YJ with a bit of lift is as good as any later CJ, and people eventually realized that and sort of embraced them. One you do, you find that it's a jeep...meaning it's cool in a way no other vehicle can be, and has all the charm and charisma they come with.

I just have never cared for the square headlights, but I enjoyed the one I had, and it was durable as could be. It's nice to see people restoring and taking care of them.

In 1997, they were replaced by the TJ Wrangler, which brought back the round headlights, but added round springs with 4 links. It was an instant hit, combing the best off road ability of any late CJ/Wrangler with even better ride and comfort. And then came the JK...and JL...but that's for another episode.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Dont buy it if u haven't lol
Lol, my sister bought it from some old lady for $200. Her dumbass boyfriend who couldn't figure out how to operate a hood latch was going to "restore" it. 5 years later it was just sitting in the backyard after the boyfriend had been long gone. Now it'll rot in my dad's backyard instead...

advertisement
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just cracked a fence post, you get that timing belt situated @joeymt33

View attachment 165218

That looks pretty tasty.

Brother In Law had to go home but we have changed the alternator, brakes on all four corners, one transmission seal and we have removed the timing belt, timing belt tensioner and water pump. Tomorrow it should all go back together and be good for many more miles. The car has 250k miles on it. He was doing a lot of this for maintenance purposes but honestly, this car seemed to be in pretty good shape.

Cheers y’all.....

0696662f01dabcffa6b8436a4ea0b392

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I'm no expert, but...
It's a YJ. Aka, the "yuppie shopping jeep", or "Wrongler". 1987-1995 (technically, there is no 1996 Wrangler).
It replaced a legend (the CJ), and as such, was always going to fail in some eyes. It was a step backwards as far as off road ability in stock form, but much more stable (ie-safer) to drive, and with greater comfort and refinement ( in terms of traditional jeeps, those terms should always be considered relevant to other versions ).

Most of the diehard CJ off road guys hated them, leading to the once popular saying of "Real Jeeps have round headlights", but as the supply of old CJs diminished, people started looking closer and found the the YJ was really just a slightly lowered CJ with square headlights and extra suspension bars. And a frame that doesn't crack. And a better engine (in later years). And gauges that usually work, and...so on, so on...

A YJ with a bit of lift is as good as any later CJ, and people eventually realized that and sort of embraced them. One you do, you find that it's a jeep...meaning it's cool in a way no other vehicle can be, and has all the charm and charisma they come with.

I just have never cared for the square headlights, but I enjoyed the one I had, and it was durable as could be. It's nice to see people restoring and taking care of them.

In 1997, they were replaced by the TJ Wrangler, which brought back the round headlights, but added round springs with 4 links. It was an instant hit, combing the best off road ability of any late CJ/Wrangler with even better ride and comfort. And then came the JK...and JL...but that's for another episode.
Awesome explanation! I will summarize lol. Dont buy a POS jeep lol. The TJ does ride and handle a lot better than the olders, providing the track bar is right. The older dana 30 fronts and 35 rear are really weak with todays tires. Some of the newer models have dana 44 axles which are much better. I will never forget the impact hammer to get the windshield bolts and doors off... Good luck. FN POS Jeep haha...

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
That looks pretty tasty.

Brother In Law had to go home but we have changed the alternator, brakes on all four corners, one transmission seal and we have removed the timing belt, timing belt tensioner and water pump. Tomorrow it should all go back together and be good for many more miles. The car has 250k miles on it. He was doing a lot of this for maintenance purposes but honestly, this car seemed to be in pretty good shape.

Cheers y’all.....

View attachment 165219

Nice, you earned that drink

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Awesome explanation! I will summarize lol. Dont buy a POS jeep lol. The TJ does ride and handle a lot better than the olders, providing the track bar is right. The older dana 30 fronts and 35 rear are really weak with todays tires. Some of the newer models have dana 44 axles which are much better. I will never forget the impact hammer to get the windshield bolts and doors off... Good luck. FN POS Jeep haha...
Well...you don't have to worry, since like your 'yota, jeeps have stupid-insane resale value, and I can't afford one. Otherwise, id buy several...

advertisement