mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
hey... I know that place! Last time I was up there I had the Viking, hopefully get to do it soon with the Honda!

IMG 1287 2

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So obviously I like to put stuff together and have nice things. For the most part I should know better and often accuse people of making less than stellar decisions. So this story is for those of you that are ready to see the other guy f*** up...

Revert back 10 posts, my brother and I had a great weekend. He's a year and 10 days older than me. We have always been good buds. He's a business major that's kicked ass in life and overcome some huge medical obstacles. I'm an engineer that loves new toys and kicking ass and taking names. No joke we haven't had a weekend like this in years. He came to visit and we spent all day Saturday putting a new AEV lift on my slightly less than used up Jeep. Everything went well. Parts went on in no time. Jeep looks good, whiskey was served after the fact. Fast forward to today...

Sunday kicks ass, coffee and king of the hammers videos with my boys and hanging out with my brother. He and I decide to grab some front u-joints for the jeep, wander through Harbor Freight and shop at the local mall. 40ish miles in the lifted jeep, top off, heat cranked, radio turned up. s*** gets real about a mile from home. Front end shakes real bad like holy s***... Do you throttle through it or steer into it or grab the brakes real... What the f*** for real. Left front tire passes us and heads for the side walk. Now we're doing 30 mph cruise set, best day ever... The tire heads for the side walk and no joke some dude puts his hands out like he's gonna catch this 32x11 BFG mud terrain, it bounces off the curb, over his head into a snow bank and rolls back out into the road. Us, well s***, what the f***. Coast to a stop on the left front rotors, whew. We grab the tire. I'm not a huge fan of Nascar like tire changes on a 2 lane highway so we pull into the Dollar general a block up the road dragging the rotor.

As all good stories go, we call my wife. "Hey bring the truck we need some tools, we broke-down". Since we are a mile from home she shows up as we get the spare off the back and have the jeep ready to change a tire. Obviously her first comment is " what the f***... I thought you broke down, where the f*** is your tire?!?"

Really wife, like we didn't know.

Long story short, not really sure what happened. In my expert and confused opinion the lug nuts were either over torqued or loose. The previous owner seemed to have a thing for wheel bearing grease on wheel studs and we made sure to clean it off the studs but I totally failed to clean the lug nuts. Jeep says 75-125lbft for lug torque and I know I failed to clean the lug nuts. We torqued the wheels to 100ftlbs. We didn't die.... The wheel side when the studs went through it.

Overall holy s***. We fixed it on time for my son's 6th birthday party in the Dollar general parking lot.
Luckily some lady old enough to be my mom stopped to say, "make sure it's safe boys, I've never seen a tire fly off like that and not ruin a car".

IMG 20200223 152536

So yeah... Jeeps are so cool. s*** happens and I made the most of the weekend.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
So obviously I like to put stuff together and have nice things. For the most part I should know better and often accuse people of making less than stellar decisions. So this story is for those of you that are ready to see the other guy f*** up...

Revert back 10 posts, my brother and I had a great weekend. He's a year and 10 days older than me. We have always been good buds. He's a business major that's kicked ass in life and overcome some huge medical obstacles. I'm an engineer that loves new toys and kicking ass and taking names. No joke we haven't had a weekend like this in years. He came to visit and we spent all day Saturday putting a new AEV lift on my slightly less than used up Jeep. Everything went well. Parts went on in no time. Jeep looks good, whiskey was served after the fact. Fast forward to today...

Sunday kicks ass, coffee and king of the hammers videos with my boys and hanging out with my brother. He and I decide to grab some front u-joints for the jeep, wander through Harbor Freight and shop at the local mall. 40ish miles in the lifted jeep, top off, heat cranked, radio turned up. s*** gets real about a mile from home. Front end shakes real bad like holy s***... Do you throttle through it or steer into it or grab the brakes real... What the f*** for real. Left front tire passes us and heads for the side walk. Now we're doing 30 mph cruise set, best day ever... The tire heads for the side walk and no joke some dude puts his hands out like he's gonna catch this 32x11 BFG mud terrain, it bounces off the curb, over his head into a snow bank and rolls back out into the road. Us, well s***, what the f***. Coast to a stop on the left front rotors, whew. We grab the tire. I'm not a huge fan of Nascar like tire changes on a 2 lane highway so we pull into the Dollar general a block up the road dragging the rotor.

As all good stories go, we call my wife. "Hey bring the truck we need some tools, we broke-down". Since we are a mile from home she shows up as we get the spare off the back and have the jeep ready to change a tire. Obviously her first comment is " what the f***... I thought you broke down, where the f*** is your tire?!?"

Long story short, not really sure what happened. In my expert and confused opinion the lug nuts were either over torqued or loose. The previous owner seemed to have a thing for wheel bearing grease on wheel studs and we made sure to clean it off the studs but I totally failed to clean the lug nuts. Jeep says 75-125lbft for lug torque and I know I failed to clean the lug nuts. We torqued the wheels to 100ftlbs. We didn't die.... The wheel side when the studs went through it.

Overall holy s***. We fixed it on time for my son's 6th birthday party in the Dollar general parking lot.
Luckily some lady old enough to be my mom stopped to say, "make sure it's safe boys, I've never seen a tire fly off like that and not ruin a car".

View attachment 186119

Get all that bad juju out of the way before TO

J

JTW

View attachment 186119

When you f*** up.. you sure do it right!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 186119

Well, I'm glad it turned out okay except for the major skid mark in the old drawers from that little adventure. Will be one of those funny stories you sit back an laugh at for years to come.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!