Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Why are the Left so brain dead and base everything on emotional feel good mentalities? I had the wonderful opportunity twice this week to trigger two separate women by saying I voted for trump. They both basically lost it. Funny as heck but sad at the same time. One day they're all gonna wake up too late. I fear our country is heading straight to the bottom of the outhouse. The F**ked thing is that so many support Cultural Marxism without really knowing what the end results will be. Never good.
It amazes me how many Americans are anti American without believing they are. America was founded on a few simple things and some are so hasty to rid the country of that.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stuck on the big boy today bailing an engineer out Aa830389a3893cf2b0ff33c11b604660A05d9f2ee7ec1c82fe531146a9ffe5ee

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It amazes me how many Americans are anti American without believing they are. America was founded on a few simple things and some are so hasty to rid the country of that.
Yeah remember prohibition? Those were bad years.... if it stuck we wouldn't have HFA! I can't bear the thought...

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With crash safety standards and all, How do they allow the auto industry to continue to manufacture autos with plastic bumpers? @CumminsPusher Thoughts?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
With crash safety standards and all, How do they allow the auto industry to continue to manufacture autos with plastic bumpers? @CumminsPusher Thoughts?

The safety standards have zero to do with protecting the car and everything to do with protecting the people in it. The best way to do it is energy absorption outside of the occupant zone. If the passenger compartment didn't give any and everything in front of (or behind in rear collision) accordion-ed down to inches the safety standard peeps would be ecstatic.

Drop an egg in a steel box versus dropping an egg wrapped in a nice amount of bubble wrap and straws.

Another piece of the puzzle is meeting gas mileage standards as well. Less weight and more aerodynamic is better for mileage.

Not trying to defend the industry as I have no skin in the game, but the industry has adapted to fit the standards placed on it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The safety standards have zero to do with protecting the car and everything to do with protecting the people in it. The best way to do it is energy absorption outside of the occupant zone. If the passenger compartment didn't give any and everything in front of (or behind in rear collision) accordion-ed down to inches the safety standard peeps would be ecstatic.

Drop an egg in a steel box versus dropping an egg wrapped in a nice amount of bubble wrap and straws.

Another piece of the puzzle is meeting gas mileage standards as well. Less weight and more aerodynamic is better for mileage.

Not trying to defend the industry as I have no skin in the game, but the industry has adapted to fit the standards placed on it.
I think some safety standards get pushed by the insurance companies too. Lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@JeremieBaker said it pretty well. Plastic bumper is just a finish piece and not intended to protect anything. It’s the understructurethat matters. Cars are meant to take the hit as opposed to the operators. In a perfect world for crash protection there would just be bumpers that line up. Trucks add a nasty part to this but cars are built to wrap around themselves to slow the g force. Obviously airbags do the same. In most new lighter weight cars you’re much safer then an old car that isn’t designed this way.
I’m surprised seeing some cars and realize someone walked away. Some want to argue the old American cars but just not same standards. Even the metal manufactured now is so much stronger in the same guage and cars will have half a dozen different types and thickness of steel to minimize casualties. Things have changed.
I do disagree with gas mileage standards. We haven’t seen much better economy over the years and some cases worse. Some vehicles have become heavier with more options over the last 30 years and more power but considering 30 years of technology (tech doubles every 18months) we haven’t seen s***. Kickbacks from fuel companies maybe? Too many people making money off it? Certain people with great ideas being paid to drop it or worse? Idk.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
@JeremieBaker said it pretty well. Plastic bumper is just a finish piece and not intended to protect anything. It’s the understructurethat matters. Cars are meant to take the hit as opposed to the operators. In a perfect world for crash protection there would just be bumpers that line up. Trucks add a nasty part to this but cars are built to wrap around themselves to slow the g force. Obviously airbags do the same. In most new lighter weight cars you’re much safer then an old car that isn’t designed this way.
I’m surprised seeing some cars and realize someone walked away. Some want to argue the old American cars but just not same standards. Even the metal manufactured now is so much stronger in the same guage and cars will have half a dozen different types and thickness of steel to minimize casualties. Things have changed.
I do disagree with gas mileage standards. We haven’t seen much better economy over the years and some cases worse. Some vehicles have become heavier with more options over the last 30 years and more power but considering 30 years of technology (tech doubles every 18months) we haven’t seen s***. Kickbacks from fuel companies maybe? Too many people making money off it? Certain people with great ideas being paid to drop it or worse? Idk.
You and @JeremieBaker summed it up nicely.

Same thing working on them. I hate working on old cars with some exceptions.
Take an old powerglide. The quality of the threads is laughable by today's standards, and they usually have 1/4 of the bolts stripped, and it is ridiculously easy to strip them compared to something newer. The metallurgy just wasn't as good.

advertisement
J

JTW

Mehhhh, I get where y’all are coming from but I doubt we’ll see the new stuff hanging around as long as the old stuff has. 50-60 years on some of these newer vehicles won’t fair so well. Just like tractors, or equipment... I’d much rather work on an old car than some of the new s***. Granted you can get a lot more mileage out of the new stuff they just don’t weather as well. I tell ya what’s killing me, thinking of the late 90’s and early 2000’s as the newer stuff and then realizing it’s 20 years old.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mehhhh, I get where y’all are coming from but I doubt we’ll see the new stuff hanging around as long as the old stuff has. 50-60 years on some of these newer vehicles won’t fair so well. Just like tractors, or equipment... I’d much rather work on an old car than some of the new s***. Granted you can get a lot more mileage out of the new stuff they just don’t weather as well. I tell ya what’s killing me, thinking of the late 90’s and early 2000’s as the newer stuff and then realizing it’s 20 years old.

I'm glad you at least conceded the mileage point in terms of vehicles lasting.

Body - Plastic takes forever to break down (good, bad or indifferent) as long as you don't let it dry out. Also, I think the majority of the oxidizing parts are primarily a matter of maintenance too. Keep them covered in paint/undercoat and they will last. If you let leaves and "gunk" build up and block drain holes and such then it will rust its way back into the earth quickly. Nature of the beast.

If people don't reverse this distracted driving trend we're never going to know because they will all be wrecked.:mad:

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Think about that last sentence and how much of those are still around.

Human beings are funny things. "New" stuff usually isn't as good as old stuff until it also gets old. We talk now about how we all had it made "BITD", yet if you could go back and ask us, we would have been less than enthusiastic about "the day" at the time.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Think about that last sentence and how much of those are still around.

Human beings are funny things. "New" stuff usually isn't as good as old stuff until it also gets old. We talk now about how we all had it made "BITD", yet if you could go back and ask us, we would have been less than enthusiastic about "the day" at the time.

New vs. Old is a very valid thought
Anyone want to go without the internet? I can learn how to do pretty much anything in very short order now. It used to take me longer to find the spot where I could start learning (encyclopedia or trip to the library) than it does to get up to speed and get started on it now. Thanks to my best friend Mr. Go Ogle.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
New vs. Old is a very valid thought
Anyone want to go without the internet? I can learn how to do pretty much anything in very short order now. It used to take me longer to find the spot where I could start learning (encyclopedia or trip to the library) than it does to get up to speed and get started on it now. Thanks to my best friend Mr. Go Ogle.
But...with newer stuff you have to use google. If my 20yo Cummins isn’t running its only possible to be fuel pump or filter lol. Some things were like that. Old refrigerators and appliances held up forever now things sometimes have designed lifespans In the manufacturing favor. I do like some of the new technologies but people are forcing the issue to the point it’s very costly and problematic to fix things. I’d say each has some advantages. It’s all in what you need and are willing to pay for.
P.s. I couldn’t deal without Google myself!

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
But...with newer stuff you have to use google. If my 20yo Cummins isn’t running its only possible to be fuel pump or filter lol. Some things were like that. Old refrigerators and appliances held up forever now things sometimes have designed lifespans In the manufacturing favor. I do like some of the new technologies but people are forcing the issue to the point it’s very costly and problematic to fix things. I’d say each has some advantages. It’s all in what you need and are willing to pay for.
P.s. I couldn’t deal without Google myself!
And how much you make

Reactions: CumminsPusher
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
But...with the some of the newer stuff you have to use google. If my 20yo Cummins isn’t running its only possible to be fuel pump or filter. I do like some of the new technologies but people are forcing the issue to the point it’s very costly and problematic to fix things. I’d say each has some advantages.

I can definitely appreciate that point. If more money is spent in r&d that increases the initial cost and the repair & maintenance to gain fuel efficiency and longevity is it really worth it? Anyone have time for a cost analysis on this? I'd honestly be really interested in the results of it. Of course that doesn't apply to the value of life in terms of the crash rating stuff, but putting an imperfect person (or computer system for those self drivers that are almost inevitable at this point) in charge of a few thousand pounds and a tank of fuel is bound to have tragic outcomes at times.

I can rebuild a carb, but I can only replace injectors if a bottle of "magic" injector cleaner doesn't straighten things up. The limit here is self imposed though. I'm sure I could learn how to properly clean an injector. I've never tried.

I know plenty of people that say they don't know how to change a tire. That "technology" hasn't changed in my lifetime or theirs. They don't know because they refuse to take a few minutes to learn. Not saying I would expect everyone to learn how to fix an ECU (I certainly can't), but not knowing everything doesn't make it bad or the person that doesn't know an idiot. That said knowing enough to call in an "expert" when I don't have the skills is a skill in of itself. Giving up and not even trying to fix something though is just saying here take my money. Trading a call/trip to an expert for replacing parts I can't service is of course an option I take some times as well.

When asked I like to say I know enough to be dangerous because an expert knows so much about so little. I'd much rather know a little about a lot. I'm happy to learn the rest as the need arises.

Appreciate your thought provoking post. I enjoy intelligent conversations and we all know there isn't much of that to be found on the internet. :(

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1979 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy $6250 new Today new $ 37,252 at the cheapest . We still have and use a 79' I bet 39 years there won't be a 2018 on the road .

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
1979 3/4 ton 4x4 Chevy $6250 new Today new $ 37,252 at the cheapest . We still have and use a 79' I bet 39 years there won't be a 2018 on the road .

I'd take that bet. How many are being sold this year? I'm definitely willing to bet someone out there takes really good care of one and it would still be road worthy in 39 years with a little TLC. Mythical garage finds are out there.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!