Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
When I was young we used to butcher and sell 17-19 head of cattle every fall. Like others have said, depends on the size of the animal.

Typically a 1/2 beef ( one front and one rear quarter) would end up at 250 lbs of packaged meat. Depending on how you boned it.

So I would say a medium sized freezer.

If that meat was all that was in the freezer, a 7 cubic foot (small one to me) would just make it. The problem is, you have to dig down thru a bunch of packages to get the item you want. Any more stuff and you need a larger freezer.

The butcher should be able to tell you a closer amount if it is done commercially.

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So mid sized, about 7ft³. Thanks
And I’d recommend a standing freezer personally. They look like a fridge. They are supposedly a little less efficient but the convenience factor is a massive advantage. As someone mentioned…digging through a typical chest freezer is a PITA.
It also takes up less floor space (obviously).

Coeus

Coeus

Major General
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2019
Signal Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R4 LV
And I’d recommend a standing freezer personally. They look like a fridge. They are supposedly a little less efficient but the convenience factor is a massive advantage. As someone mentioned…digging through a typical chest freezer is a PITA.
But what size?

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Mom has a standing freezer at her house (next door) that she hasn't been using so Im thinking that that is what we will use for now. I was just wondering how big of one we'll need if we decided to get one ourselves.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mom has a standing freezer at her house (next door) that she hasn't been using so Im thinking that that is what we will use for now. I was just wondering how big of one we'll need if we decided to get one ourselves.
It’s like a garage or a toolbox…you will almost certainly run out of space before you run out of stuff to put in it.
Nomojic

NewHere2

NewHere2

Village Idiot In Training
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2020
High Plains of SD
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Biggest one they stock locally that you have room for and can afford … IMHO. Pizza rolls and ice cream can take up any extra space. #FatsquatchApproved!

I honestly don’t know the 1/2 cow requirements though.
Just a moment, I’ll ask my wife. Hon, how big is your sister ??

“7-8 cubic feet minimum” !

#NTC

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!