Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Got ya just didn't know if you had explored that option:)
A little yes. Been on it since last weekend. It's sure more simple and that may come into play because even when I learn if it's not a very quick thing to teach it's out

Reactions: Biteme
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is getting away from the ham radio question but a lot of guys in my area are running two way marine radios . Good distance and no license required. We have a lot of hills and hollers and they all seem to be able to talk back and forth from long distances
It's illegal to run marine radios on land around here you might want to check on that. But I do understand why a lot of people do that because of the waterproof aspect.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wow! I didn't hear that thanks for info!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
This is getting away from the ham radio question but a lot of guys in my area are running two way marine radios . Good distance and no license required. We have a lot of hills and hollers and they all seem to be able to talk back and forth from long distances
I'm curious how long a distance?

Sent from iPhone

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm curious how long a distance?

Sent from iPhone
At work we use 2 ways and can reach upwards of 40 miles.. but we also use a repeater which greatly increases our ramge. I know that the coyote hunters who run them cam get 25 miles easy depending on terrain and weather conditions.
As far as legality.. here in Missouri there is no law against using them that we are aware of.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Gm In heavy woods what would you say for distance ? Any idea of what bandwidth

Sent from iPhone

D

Dasmoeturhead

Yup, marine radios have more power than CB's, and illegal to use them for other than marine use.

25 miles through wooded forest is going to tax any radio, especially if your not on top of the hill, or don't have repeaters to use. I've talked 15 miles on simplex 2 meter in hilly,wooded terrain and it worked but I wouldn't totally depend on it. Handheld radios do lack the punch through power, than say a 75 watt mobile/base rig. Think big tall antenna. I have my larger antenna on my p1k mounted in the bed (not connected to radio), until I need it. Then I remove it from its mounting, and attach it to the coax on my homebuilt plate when I want to use it. If the trail is tall enough I run with it attached, and I have a spring so it will bend, but I don't like a smashing the antenna against treatment branches. Don't want to nick the outer coating that protects the fine wire that is wrapped around the antenna mast. Good news if you use 2 meter radio is that the antennas are fairly short, unlike a cb.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I assume two meter radio is 6 ft antenna

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Here is base unit I'm looking at A114d3833da3c9022cdd41edf965851eDd7e60892c5e3acafd05178ddd033cc2

And the walkies
A6ecc897882c83a232ddc80285243052
12c6927def1e41853325125a8dbb0f57

Good bad? Antenna? I can't run huge antenna either for sure. Options for permanent use?

Sent from iPhone

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't see pic?

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Damn antenna is a lot. It's as much as unit. Anything more reasonable? I know I'm asking a lot but trying on limited

Sent from iPhone

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Educatedguess, thank you as well. It's honestly not too often I look into something and get totally confused. Here it is for me. I love the idea of ham and not only do I think it's imperative for our situation I do think down the road if anything happens it'll be a blessing. I'm usually a quick study but omg. I just want it to work. I've seen prices on eBay and local used prices and we won't lose anything if it doesn't work for us so I'm pulling the trigger. There are 4 of us that are committed to getting licenses but in emergency situations I need it to work for anyone. We will not strand someone again that's a bad deal! Communications has just went to level 1. I know nothing other then brand. I suspect with the 50w on the p1k and an 8w handheld there should be plenty of range for us. It's looking like line of sight is up to 150 miles and heavily wooded could be as much as 25-30. That should be fine. I definitely would say this isn't going to go to be a hobby as it could get expensive but CB won't cut it for us.

Sent from iPhone
That is exactly where I am at. I can usually get things figured out but in this case, I was looking for something I could hand to a friend and let him use on his unit while I utilize one on mine. (He will be licensed as well) Then have the ability to reach out should I need it. But I think that will be a bit of a learning experience. I'm okay with this but as you said, I don't think this will turn into a hobby. I look at it like golf. I want to learn enough to make it enjoyable and useful, understand the etiquette as not to offend, but not make it something I need to practice all the time and drain my account. For me, HAM will be a tool and not a hobby

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That is exactly where I am at. I can usually get things figured out but in this case, I was looking for something I could hand to a friend and let him use on his unit while I utilize one on mine. (He will be licensed as well) Then have the ability to reach out should I need it. But I think that will be a bit of a learning experience. I'm okay with this but as you said, I don't think this will turn into a hobby. I look at it like golf. I want to learn enough to make it enjoyable and useful, understand the etiquette as not to offend, but not make it something I need to practice all the time and drain my account. For me, HAM will be a tool and not a hobby
Absolutely same here. I want to have something to depend on but reasonable. The one I'm looking at seems to have CB and two way so might be a go just sucks to buy something I don't know anything about. That's just not me

Sent from iPhone

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What range do you normally have ?

Sent from iPhone
Couple miles in town, more out in the country. It's just a basic cobra, if I relocated the antenna and had it tuned better it may go farther. It's not water proof at all so I wrapped packing tape around where the seam is.

D

Dasmoeturhead

For some reason I can't copy the picture. Look up Yaesu 2900R. The only downside is, it gets hot after continuous operation. Added hest to a cab that doesn't need it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!