Harbor Freight ZXR5000 winch on sale $159.99 (potentially $144)

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
The only reason American companies outsource manufacturing to China is because of the large load of inflation, regulation and taxes on manufacturing here in the states. There is a substantial premium to ship things halfway around the world, and the fact that it's still economical exposes how horrible the manufacturing climate is here in the "land of the free."

Nationalism is a disease that blinds one to the reality of their "homeland."
It is also the greed of the American business ownwer to make as much money as possible. Loyalty to your own country goes away when the big dollar signs appear from China.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of my favorite economists once said that the market is an ongoing conspiracy to push profit margins to zero. Producers must constantly seek advantage to keep ahead.

Inflation kills legacy industry like manufacturing.

Last edited:
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thanks to the OP for posting the link.
Opinions aside not everyone can or will spend the crazy money the big name companies ask.
As for me I run badlands 5K front and rear on my P7-4 and use them often around the farm and in the woods without even a burp.
Our Jeeps used to run Warn and we actually did have a few issues.
So no one is void of troubles and issues.
The repair parts for the Warn were from China.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
It is also the greed of the American business ownwer to make as much money as possible. Loyalty to your own country goes away when the big dollar signs appear from China.
Profit is one of many drivers. But anyone who thinks greed/profit is the sole or even the primary reason companies produce goods elsewhere to sell here does not understand simple (global) economics.

A big factor driving prices is competition. If the cost to produce a widget in the US is $100 and the cost to produce it in foreign countries is $20 and $10 to transport it here for sale, the US manufacturer will never survive.

This isn't 1970 anymore when the lack of advancements in technology, communicatiion and transportation made producing goods elsewhere and importing them here MORE expensive.

The world truly is a global economy today and US manufacturers have to find ways to be competitive with other nations. What makes it difficult is many other counties don't have the labor, environment and safety requirements that we have here, all of which increase the cost to produce goods here. Bottom line, the playing field is not level.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Profit is one of many drivers. But anyone who thinks greed/profit is the sole or even the primary reason companies produce goods elsewhere to sell here does not understand simple (global) economics.

A big factor driving prices is competition. If the cost to produce a widget in the US is $100 and the cost to produce it in foreign countries is $20 and $10 to transport it here for sale, the US manufacturer will never survive.

This isn't 1970 anymore when the lack of advancements in technology, communicatiion and transportation made producing goods elsewhere and importing them here MORE expensive.

The world truly is a global economy today and US manufacturers have to find ways to be competitive with other nations. What makes it difficult is many other counties don't have the labor, environment and safety requirements that we have here, all of which increase the cost to produce goods here. Bottom line, the playing field is not level
Saying it a global market is technically correct, but when your an American company you should be making you product here to support you own country. When you have it made in China, no matter how well you think the quality is, your still not helping your own country, but you are making a lot more money. Bottom line is you make more money, and China is closer to owning all American businesses. THANKS!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Saying it a global market is technically correct, but when your an American company you should be making you product here to support you own country. When you have it made in China, no matter how well you think the quality is, your still not helping your own country, but you are making a lot more money. Bottom line is you make more money, and China is closer to owning all American businesses. THANKS!
Again, when you "make it here" to support the country and it is priced at $100 while your competitor outsources it to China and theirs costs $40, you won't be in business very long.

Bottom line: Most consumers buy based on the lowest price and many consumers can't afford to spend $100 over $40 for similar products.

We were furniture shopping for the new house. Wife and I went to 10 different stores over several weekends. In the end, after the wife picked out what she wanted, I looked at the salesman and asked, "Is this made in America?". He said, "No." I told the wife this was not the set that would be in our living room. There were only two US made furniture product lines in the store. We found something we both liked made by Southern Motion out of Mississippi.

We spent a big chunk more for that set versus the other foreign made set, but I did so to support the workers in Mississippi.

If it's within a reasonable amount, we always buy American made. When it's two or three times the price, that's another story.

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
I know it’s hard to find anything made in America. This has went on for so long with all of the greedy so called American makers, the only way to reverse this is to put super high tariffs on everything not made in the USA.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mercantilism will not make you prosperous nor free. Tariffs harm everyone except for a select few politically-connected corporatists and the political scum that deals out the favors.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!