P1000 Hard or soft? How do you like it?

Ladies and gents, what do you like better?

• Hard

• Soft

• Whatever else you put on it…

Results are only viewable after voting.
HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If your of the ilk that time is money, then you really should fix the rops with your money first. A second roll over on a damaged rops might make you spend your time doing some sad stuff. I saw somebody have to get air lifted to the hospital because their roll bar caved in.
I think I have a plan for the cage. It won’t go unfixed but any means. It’s going to hold my wife and kid so I’m not just gonna “let it ride.” Lol

My main question was just seeing what everyone was running and if they liked it. It won’t take much time to fab a soft top. I’m not worried about that. But once I get the cage fixed… keep it soft or make it hard for the wife?

…there is an endless amount of stupid jokes with this title…

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why is this all so confusing?

I like my women hard and my liquor soft . . . oh wait, I'm confused again. Or as Homer & Jethro said, "We are the boys from the Boy Scout troop! We don't smoke, and we don't chew, And we don't go with the girls that do!"

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the best of both worlds... I have this custom fabricated aluminum top that the back half folds forward in case I need to work standing up in the bed or haul something tall.. It works like a champ. It's also strong enough for me to stand/walk around on when needed.
Pioneer 1000 001
Pioneer 1000 004

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I really like the best of both worlds... I have this custom fabricated aluminum top that the back half folds forward in case I need to work standing up in the bed or haul something tall.. It works like a champ. It's also strong enough for me to stand/walk around on when needed.View attachment 364219View attachment 364220
That’s absolutely a “seen in the wild” vote for sure! I love it!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I will say that I have been very pleased with my soft top on my 700. 2 years and still going strong.

Has a few holes on the edges where I ABSOLUTELY smashed it between something immovable and the roll cage, and surprised with how it has held up. Would a factory hardtop have held up to that without damage? Certainly. I choose a soft top based on the notion that it's quieter as far as cab noise, and it's literally one quarter of the price. Mostly the former. I also don't remove it for towing, though I tow with an SUV that probably doesn't allow air to get under the top like a pickup might.

That said, if you like driving through trees ala @CumminsPusher, then the hardtop is probably the choice.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Actually...I guess I should have said that if you like using trees as tactical trail navigation tools like @CumminsPusher, then a hardtop is the sensible choice.
I was confused there for a minute till realized you were talking about the upper skid plate.

Plowboy1466

Plowboy1466

Lifetime Member
Feb 11, 2018
Ashland, Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I rescind my vote. I didn't see that you were asking about the roof. I assumed that you were asking about doors. There's no way in hell that l would use a soft roof. And the honda hard top definitely get's used for a navigational device. The big question is what's your end goal? If you're in Wa, do you think that you might want enclosed doors down the road? Or a heater? My best suggestion is to think about for your future wants and needs and plan that out. Spend a little more now and save more down the the road by not throwing away stuff that doesn't work for what you want. Many of us on this site have wasted $$$ changing our setup because it wasn't right.

Last edited:
B

Bob H

Apr 16, 2021
kansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I have the Honda Hard roof on ourP1000-3. When driving at 45mph and up the roof appears to raise and air comes in between roof and windshield. Have not drove it in heavy rain, but did haul it to the dealer in the rain. Water had got inside from between roof and windshield. Any suggestion

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Honda Hard roof on ourP1000-3. When driving at 45mph and up the roof appears to raise and air comes in between roof and windshield. Have not drove it in heavy rain, but did haul it to the dealer in the rain. Water had got inside from between roof and windshield. Any suggestion
Do you have door panels and a rear window? Also, there are numerous threads about sealing the gap between the window and the top. It will never be 100% sealed but there are solutions that will help. The search 🔍 is located in the upper right hand corner. It is your friend.

B

Bob H

Apr 16, 2021
kansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Do you have door panels and a rear window? Also, there are numerous threads about sealing the gap between the window and the top. It will never be 100% sealed but there are solutions that will help. The search 🔍 is located in the upper right hand corner. It is your friend.
We have the Honda doors and rear panel

CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Honda soft top with rear window. I have no complaints with it. With that being said, it performs for my needs because I know my machine isn't a car or truck with a windproof/waterproof cab. Now when I put my machine on my trailer and go anywhere over 100 miles, I remove it and the "flip" part of my windshield. This is what works for me personally and I have done it several times, takes about 15 minutes for me. Ride safe everyone!!

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Hard top? Soft top? Something weird and only seen in the wild?

What kind of roof system are you running and would you rather have the other?
Hard top, we get a lot of hail in the mountains and a rag top would shred but the hard top can take it. Low hanging branches will also destroy a rag top. In the end the expensive hard top gets cheaper from nor-replacement.

I know this is an question from the past put it will come up again and again, don't go cheap.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!