P1000 Hard or soft? How do you like it?

Ladies and gents, what do you like better?

• Hard

• Soft

• Whatever else you put on it…

Results are only viewable after voting.
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
IMO the Honda roof is actually the best hard roof there is for the Pioneer….you almost never hear a complaint about durability. They don’t rattle, and are easy to remove. It also provides a nice rub point for when your ROPS leans on a tree or ground.

It’s not a topic that is discussed much, as most just go with the Honda roof and have no regrets.

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Tusk aluminum roof, wanted to use it for strapping things down during hunting. It’s a bit heavy though, considering a soft mesh type roof for summers time.
I was thinking a soft top too but since this is our first sxs, wanted to see how much the hard top keeps the heavy branches and debris out. I was thinking soft top would be fine for service roads and groomed trails. I don’t see the wife getting into too much aggressive rock crawling. Lol

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I was thinking a soft top too but since this is our first sxs, wanted to see how much the hard top keeps the heavy branches and debris out. I was thinking soft top would be fine for service roads and groomed trails. I don’t see the wife getting into too much aggressive rock crawling. Lol
Keep in mind the soft top is a pita to get clean when it gets mud on it.
I had one for a few months some time ago when i first got the sxs. Hated that thing. Wished i had put my money to some sort of hard top at the time. There are some that like the soft top, but not too many.

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Keep in mind the soft top is a pita to get clean when it gets mud on it.
I had one for a few months some time ago when i first got the sxs. Hated that thing. Wished i had put my money to some sort of hard top at the time. There are some that like the soft top, but not too many.
Luckily enough my dad does leather work. Makes chaps and chinquideros for our rodeo and livestock buddies. He has a few big sewing machines that will work just fine. We have some leftover material when he made a bikini top for my cousins jeep. I don’t think it’ll be enough to stretch to the cage but there should only be a 1-2in gap all the way around.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Luckily enough my dad does leather work. Makes chaps and chinquideros for our rodeo and livestock buddies. He has a few big sewing machines that will work just fine. We have some leftover material when he made a bikini top for my cousins jeep. I don’t think it’ll be enough to stretch to the cage but there should only be a 1-2in gap all the way around.
Thought u were asking which one to buy? In that case, give it a try then. U have nothing to loose

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked around a chose the Honda hardtop for my P1K5. Too expensive, but I think it's the best out there.
It covers the corners so rain doesn't dump in and the front points wrap down over the ROPS to help stop Pinyon Juniper branches from wedging in and ripping the top off.
It also sits up higher from the ROPS which gave me room to install mesh bag carriers underneath. I keep a lot of gear stowed away up under the roof, which lets me clean the machine without having to unpack everything.

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought u were asking which one to buy? In that case, give it a try then. U have nothing to loose
Yes and no. I like inexpensive first off. And for mine since the roll bar is bent a hard top won’t quite fit. There are little plastic clips from the old hardtop, which were all snapped off when they wrecked.

Plus I just wanted everyone else’s opinion or pro/cons about what they have. Give me an idea of what to look for and what to put effort into first. Time is money muh man!

HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked around a chose the Honda hardtop for my P1K5. Too expensive, but I think it's the best out there.
It covers the corners so rain doesn't dump in and the front points wrap down over the ROPS to help stop Pinyon Juniper branches from wedging in and ripping the top off.
It also sits up higher from the ROPS which gave me room to install mesh bag carriers underneath. I keep a lot of gear stowed away up under the roof, which lets me clean the machine without having to unpack everything.
Damn. That’s a great idea. Stuff stored up high so a pressure washer makes the cleaning quick and easy.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Yes and no. I like inexpensive first off. And for mine since the roll bar is bent a hard top won’t quite fit. There are little plastic clips from the old hardtop, which were all snapped off when they wrecked.

Plus I just wanted everyone else’s opinion or pro/cons about what they have. Give me an idea of what to look for and what to put effort into first. Time is money muh man!
Given you have a bent cage now and all, I understand if you want just a temp top. But, when it comes time to put real money down, my vote goes to the OEM hard top. I know they've gotten more expensive like anything else, but top is worth its weight in gold. One of the best accessories I have on my rig

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Given you have a bent cage now and all, I understand if you want just a temp top. But, when it comes time to put real money down, my vote goes to the OEM hard top. I know they've gotten more expensive like anything else, but top is worth its weight in gold. One of the best accessories I have on my rig
If I recall, there were some Bimini soft tops that should wrap over your bent cage. Good luck.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3

If your of the ilk that time is money, then you really should fix the rops with your money first. A second roll over on a damaged rops might make you spend your time doing some sad stuff. I saw somebody have to get air lifted to the hospital because their roll bar caved in.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!