P1000 Hard Start

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I usually ride to my in laws house right down the road from my house ,and just bout everytime I go to restart it. It will crank but miss and idle real low for bout 5 seconds then clear up. Has anybody else noticed this? Got 15 hours and 105 miles on it.

Reactions: Isaiah
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Mine hasn't done that yet. There was a time when it was real cold it started kinda hard but didn't sound like it was missing.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
You could have spark plug fouling....even with efi, if it gets started and shut off a lot without being ran for an extended period of time the plug can start to foul up. I have been at dealerships that have this problem because they start up their machines for 30 seconds and quick run them out the road for display and then they sit all day and get started again for 30 seconds to get put back inside....

Last edited:
Reactions: Delton
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could have spark plug fouling....even with efi, if it gets started and shut off a lot without being ran for an extended period of time the plug can start to foul up. I have been at dealerships that have this problem because they start up their machines for 30 seconds and quick run them out the road for display and then they sit all day and get started again for 30 seconds to get put back inside....
That is what it sounds like happened. Especially true if you live at lower elevations. When engine is cold the ECU has a certain set of parameters that controls fuel. It doesn't read air/fuel ratios until it reaches operating temps, so it won't adjust for a rich or lean condition when cold.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's what mine has been doing lately.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
You need to take it out for a longer ride . If that does not help check the spark plugs or you might have water in the gas. Or check the valves

HivoltageHonda

HivoltageHonda

Aug 6, 2015
Hernando, MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Mine was doing that just not that bad. Going to get first service Thursday I'm gonna see if I can duplicate the problem in front of them.

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com

That's exactly what mine did when it died on the hill for me and wouldn't idle without me holding the throttle. Now it seems to start and idle fine so I'm not going to the dealer yet until it's more often.

Curious to see what you guys having it more often find at the dealer.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
You need to take it out for a longer ride . If that does not help check the spark plugs or you might have water in the gas. Or check the valves

For me, ~90% of the time it starts immediately. I'm not sure why this happens when it does. I've got over two hundred miles and last weekend rode it 6 hours. I'm not think valves or spark plugs because it's intermittent. It could be a faulty check valve in the fuel system letting the fuel run back?

I'm not real sure.

wilson111

wilson111

Jun 11, 2015
SC
Mine seems to do this too when I ride it for a short distance and then cut off and try to restart later.

Reactions: ToddACimer
advertisement
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For me, ~90% of the time it starts immediately. I'm not sure why this happens when it does. I've got over two hundred miles and last weekend rode it 6 hours. I'm not think valves or spark plugs because it's intermittent. It could be a faulty check valve in the fuel system letting the fuel run back?

I'm not real sure.
I don't have my manual yet so I don't know how the FPR is set up in the tank. I think you may be right about what's going on. One way to troubleshoot your theory is to turn key to the on position several times in a row without cranking the engine. Leave key on a few seconds each time to let the pump prime. After a few times, crank the engine and see if it fires up. If that works, you're losing pressure in the line when engine isn't running. The FPR on my Dodge Neons have an Oring that goes bad sometimes and you lose pressure.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ever figure out what the problem was? Mine does that exact same thing once in a while.

Don’t have a clue. We have two and both vehicles do the same thing. If I give it part throttle like the owners manual says, it doesn’t happen.

W

Weekendwarriors

May 2, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I bought my 2018 pioneer 1000-5 last year and it ran great. It sat most of the winter in my garage and now it is intermittently hard to start as described in this thread. Did anyone ever figure out what was causing there pioneer to do this? Thanks

Reactions: Lady01 and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I bought my 2018 pioneer 1000-5 last year and it ran great. It sat most of the winter in my garage and now it is intermittently hard to start as described in this thread. Did anyone ever figure out what was causing there pioneer to do this? Thanks
Mine does it every now and then but not nearly as bad as the video above. I do have to say it’s more apt to happen when in park and sitting on an incline.

Reactions: Lady01
nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I'm not real sure.

I have 700 mile on mine and it does that every once in a while, it did it yesterday, now this morning started fine. I did put on around 20 miles yesterday so, who knows.

sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Mine was hard to start a day or two after I worked on the fuel injector wire. I pumped the gas pedal and it started.... hasn’t done it since. Dunno. Make me leery of late night solo rides that I e been doing a lot of since I’m home from work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E

Ebody

Jun 7, 2021
Tampa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Anyone ever figure out what was causing this issue?

advertisement