P500 Harsh Shifting?

Keebler

Keebler

Nov 1, 2020
St Charles, Mo
Ownership

1. 500
My P500 had hard shifts from the time I bought it with 200 miles on the odometer. At 700 miles the shifting had got progressively worse so I finely adjusted the clutch. The adjustment is really easy (see other posts in the P500 section) and it now shifts better than ever. When I loosened the jam nut the adjustment stud was already at the resistance point. When I moved it 1/4 rotation from the resistance point and retightened the jam nut the shifting was much better. This will now be a check/adjustment I do every 200 miles.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Normal when new. I readjusted my clutch at 100 miles and twice since in 4 years. Have to find the sweet spot, most recent is smoothest ever. But use manual shift on hills. A good how to thread on this site.

Last edited:
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Only adjusted my clutch once and that was after it stuck in 5th. That was a few yrs ago. Everyone has their own maintenance routine but I run full synthetic and change the oil once a yr in the spring. I change the diff fluids every other yr with full syn as well. After several yrs of this it shifts like butter whether short shifting or winding it out on a speed run.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Only adjusted my clutch once and that was after it stuck in 5th. That was a few yrs ago. Everyone has their own maintenance routine but I run full synthetic and change the oil once a yr in the spring. I change the diff fluids every other yr with full syn as well. After several yrs of this it shifts like butter whether short shifting or winding it out on a speed run.
Yep, just did the annual oil change and backed off the clutch about 1/8 turn for curiosity and glad I did. Now can use AT comfortably on the property. Surprised how much difference just a small turn adjustment can make. On my first adjustment when new, rotated to far and thought I really messed it up with a display —- error.

Last edited:
G

Gunstockmaker

Nov 19, 2021
Farmington MO
Ownership

1. 520
Manual is smoother. But the shifting overall smooths out a lot after 100 miles or so. Mine is like a different machine than it was back in April when I got it. I have about 100 miles on it.
I'll be putting some miles on it to get it to 100 at which time I'll change all the fluids and adjust the clutch. Thanks

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I'll be putting some miles on it to get it to 100 at which time I'll change all the fluids and adjust the clutch. Thanks
Thats an excellent plan. Heavy synthetic in the front and rear differentials at that time also suggested. I forgot the exact weight diff oil, maybe @trigger can chime in.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I have 44 miles on my 520, but ..... it shifts so hard from 1 -2 and from 2 - 3. Is this normal for all 520's?
After seven years and thousands of miles, synthetic diff oils and a foot kept a little in the gas while shifting its smooth. Run it rough, hit the rev limiter, it’s a bullet proof machine….👍😎

LiquidLogic

LiquidLogic

Mar 1, 2022
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Clutch Ajustment! I picked up my 2022 P520 at end of January and was shocked at how rough the shifting was upon returning home. The dealer did not offer a test ride beforehand, or I certainly would have left it there for some type of adjustment. I had read online about this issue, but never imagined it would be THAT bad. So I tried some of the shifting techniques recommended by some members here, to no avail. My son came over to take a ride. He rode it for about 200 yards, brought it back, and said, “something has to be broken” for it to shift like that. Well….not really wanting to wait around for a 100-600 mile break-in, and not really wanting to change all the oils to synthetic at 64 miles, I jumped in and did the clutch adjustment as described in a couple of posts here. Hallelujah!!!! It was an instant 90% improvement. A couple of follow-up tweaks has made it even better. It’s still not what I would call a smooth shifter, but I can certainly live with it at this point. If more break-in miles and new synthetic oil smooth out that last 5%, I’ll be a happy camper.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Clutch Ajustment! I picked up my 2022 P520 at end of January and was shocked at how rough the shifting was upon returning home. The dealer did not offer a test ride beforehand, or I certainly would have left it there for some type of adjustment. I had read online about this issue, but never imagined it would be THAT bad. So I tried some of the shifting techniques recommended by some members here, to no avail. My son came over to take a ride. He rode it for about 200 yards, brought it back, and said, “something has to be broken” for it to shift like that. Well….not really wanting to wait around for a 100-600 mile break-in, and not really wanting to change all the oils to synthetic at 64 miles, I jumped in and did the clutch adjustment as described in a couple of posts here. Hallelujah!!!! It was an instant 90% improvement. A couple of follow-up tweaks has made it even better. It’s still not what I would call a smooth shifter, but I can certainly live with it at this point. If more break-in miles and new synthetic oil smooth out that last 5%, I’ll be a happy camper.
Good news to hear such success on such a new machine. I recently did my 3rd adjustment on a 2017 P500, running synthetic oil and finally have it smooth like it should be. Should have done it again sooner but don’t run AT mode on trails. A slight ease off on the gas near rpm shift point makes it even better.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!