Talon Hello and Thoughts

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Hello everyone... I have been laying low just reading all of the post I can since my first Honda SXS in 2019. Then, I bought and still have a 2019 Honda Pioneer 700-4 Deluxe, which we still have and LOVE! Have been a few places with it and really enjoy riding. Yesterday I bought a 2021 Honda Talon 1000r, adding 32" tires because the Pioneer just didn't seem to have enough ground clearance for me. :) This, in my opinion, is an absolute beast! Can't wait to hit the trials.... maybe some sand.. idk

What is everyone's thoughts on the maintenance plan that is offered by the dealerships. They seem to try to scare you with the whole valve adjustment after break-in. I have yet to do anything, except oil change with filter and air filter. I don't notice that it sounds any different than when I first bought it and it starts right up. Should I purchase such a plan or just listen and then adjust them myself if need be down the road???

Thanks,

BTW.... Mayhem On the Mountain (M.O.M) sounds awesome. Hope we can make it there one day.

T

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ok, your first ever post since joining last yr lol. Welcome from Michigan BTW.

You have 2 machines and no pics? 🤨 In the words of sleepy joe! Come on man! 🤣
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

to answer your question, Id skip the maint plan save some money and take care of it yourself. Its not a Lincoln lol. If you can change your own oil, you can do some basic stuff and u can find it in here also. Now, lets see the pics?🤣🥳

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Thanks Remington... Hello from Kansas. Yeah.... sorry about that. I am planning on taking some pics tonight after work. We bought the Talon yesterday and rolled back into the ol' homestead around 11pm last night from Arkansas. So, needless to say... too dark and tired to do the pics last night. Did drive it around the neighborhood though. I'm sure I will here about that from the neighbors later... :)
Thanks for your input on the valve adjustment too. I feel the same way. I am mechanically inclined (thank goodness because it seems like there are fewer and fewer people who are) and am sure I can adjust them if/when need be. Looks like more time just tearing them apart and putting them back together.

Pictures to come....

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks Remington... Hello from Kansas. Yeah.... sorry about that. I am planning on taking some pics tonight after work. We bought the Talon yesterday and rolled back into the ol' homestead around 11pm last night from Arkansas. So, needless to say... too dark and tired to do the pics last night. Did drive it around the neighborhood though. I'm sure I will here about that from the neighbors later... :)
Thanks for your input on the valve adjustment too. I feel the same way. I am mechanically inclined (thank goodness because it seems like there are fewer and fewer people who are) and am sure I can adjust them if/when need be. Looks like more time just tearing them apart and putting them back together.

Pictures to come....
Is your R a live valve or standard? 2 seat or 4?

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Went with the standard 2 seater. Have read and heard complaints on spending more money on live valve and then changing out the suspension. Plus... more costly computers to go out.

Michigan eeh? Have some people up that way around Romeo. Been looking at the SXS road trip that goes from town to town up around Ironwood, MI (UP) to Hurley, WI. I think it is sponsored by some RZR club, but all machines welcome.... I think! Still researching it. :)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Welcome from the once great state of Colorado. :cool:

The link in my sig will take you to some basic Talon tidbits if you haven’t seen it.

The LV wasn’t available when I bought my R and after reading of technical problems, I’m glad it wasn’t. It’s very complicated (IMO) and the techs aren’t up to speed yet. There are just too many interfaces for things to go wrong. Ideally, it’s an awesome concept but not fully developed and that you still need valving work, not worth the expense, again IMO.

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Here they are….. Now to figure out what to add to the Talon. 😬

8DF629BE B2BB 4134 8785 889AD1ED25FD

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks for the pics. Very nice. I agree with all the comments about live valve. More complicated the system, the more you need experienced techs. Welcome from Rocky Top (TN)

Stateboy

Stateboy

Lifetime Member
Apr 5, 2021
Wolverine, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Northern Michigan. Yeah, we have trails and roads and two-tracks and paths and swamps and creeks and fields in Michigan. I see the guys here from Michigan drive on and in all that stuff here, both in the U.P. and where theTrolls live (those of us beneath the Mackinac Bridge - Lower Peninsula).

TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
The Talon R is a great choice. Fix the air filter intake location and add some miles.
Are you suggesting adding a snorkel? I would like to, just have to research the easiest and best way to do it. Thanks!!!!

Reactions: Smitty335
TTaylor

TTaylor

Oct 26, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
Welcome from Northern Michigan. Yeah, we have trails and roads and two-tracks and paths and swamps and creeks and fields in Michigan. I see the guys here from Michigan drive on and in all that stuff here, both in the U.P. and where theTrolls live (those of us beneath the Mackinac Bridge - Lower Peninsula).
I will be up there in August, but without SXS... :-( Daughter is getting married to one of your Michigans and moving there. We are going to Mackinac Island and up around Pictured Rock (Munising). I will be scoping out the areas to find the places to bring the SXS back to. Or, if you have suggestions I am all ears.. :)

Reactions: Smitty335 and 906UP

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!