Hello from Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, I'm Hawkeye

This is my first sxs 1000-5D. Been riding Honda atv's just under thirty years before that dirt bikes. Had a brief stint in there on a Polaris sportsman for 3yrs but went back to Honda 2002 buying foreman 450 es which I still have and use on the farm.
Owned trx250x, trx250r 1989 wish I'd never got rid of that one, weak moment and that's when Polaris came into being.
Foreman trx300fw indestructible but bit low on power sold
Sportsman 400L 4x4 2 stroke, tons of fun but at 400 a pop for starter sent it down the road
Foreman trx450fe es with itp 589's a plow/winch been on a few hunting trips Texas, New Mexico. Nothing fancy just Honda dependability.

I see the 1000's needs a few things before its trail ready (week in the outback) winch, tires disappointed in the stock ply rating should come standard with a deluxe plug kit or spare. Addressing heat issues but see Honda's kit is out now. Maybe some extra lights with switch panel and aux battery. Does the list stop?
I've already installed hard roof, hard coat two piece windshield, rear view mirror(should been standard on deluxe) made my own bed mat and front floor mats from some old weather tech stuff. Just easier to get farm dirt and mud off of.
So far just under 100 miles haven't felt anything odd with clutches but drop oil at 50 to check so far checked fine. I read there may be an update coming near future. I did purchase extended warranty they started at 1275 got it bought at 800 and that took 20minutes and you'd thought I was asking for first born.
Looking forward to all the great info that comes from the forum to make this purchase the most enjoyable it can be. Maybe after I get some real seat time and mods(tires) hitting the trails with a few of you someplace somewhere.

Hawkeye

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : Yes, this is my first.
I have owned, or currently own the following: UTV, ATV, Motorcycle
My off-road experience level is: Intermediate
My favorite place to ride is: Trying to get a thing put together for Utah Paiute/Moab

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello, I'm Hawkeye

This is my first sxs 1000-5D. Been riding Honda atv's just under thirty years before that dirt bikes. Had a brief stint in there on a Polaris sportsman for 3yrs but went back to Honda 2002 buying foreman 450 es which I still have and use on the farm.
Owned trx250x, trx250r 1989 wish I'd never got rid of that one, weak moment and that's when Polaris came into being.
Foreman trx300fw indestructible but bit low on power sold
Sportsman 400L 4x4 2 stroke, tons of fun but at 400 a pop for starter sent it down the road
Foreman trx450fe es with itp 589's a plow/winch been on a few hunting trips Texas, New Mexico. Nothing fancy just Honda dependability.

I see the 1000's needs a few things before its trail ready (week in the outback) winch, tires disappointed in the stock ply rating should come standard with a deluxe plug kit or spare. Addressing heat issues but see Honda's kit is out now. Maybe some extra lights with switch panel and aux battery. Does the list stop?
I've already installed hard roof, hard coat two piece windshield, rear view mirror(should been standard on deluxe) made my own bed mat and front floor mats from some old weather tech stuff. Just easier to get farm dirt and mud off of.
So far just under 100 miles haven't felt anything odd with clutches but drop oil at 50 to check so far checked fine. I read there may be an update coming near future. I did purchase extended warranty they started at 1275 got it bought at 800 and that took 20minutes and you'd thought I was asking for first born.
Looking forward to all the great info that comes from the forum to make this purchase the most enjoyable it can be. Maybe after I get some real seat time and mods(tires) hitting the trails with a few of you someplace somewhere.

Hawkeye

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : Yes, this is my first.
I have owned, or currently own the following: UTV, ATV, Motorcycle
My off-road experience level is: Intermediate
My favorite place to ride is: Trying to get a thing put together for Utah Paiute/Moab
Welcome from N W Arkansas! I think skids are one of the most important add ons, take a look at the factory skid.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Nashville tn

Reactions: Tigermark
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club from Cleveland.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome aboard from SE Missouri

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Texas

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from N W Arkansas! I think skids are one of the most important add ons, take a look at the factory skid.

Yep left that out my post, got a full set on my ATV and fully agree can't get enough protection on the bottom.
Thanks to all for the warm welcome.

Hawkeye

Reactions: Smitty335
advertisement
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Glad that you found us. Join in the conversation.

ENJOY!!!!!!

And if you go any of the places like I go, one of the best purchases you'll make is a good pressure washer!!!!!!!!!!
It's amazing just how much mud can get stuck on one of these machines!

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
Welcome from Kentucky

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Texas

J

JTW

Welcome from the lube capital of the world!!

I'm planning on Moab in June!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum, lots of good information and people here. Be sure to check out our how to sections for each model regarding maintenance and mods. It can answer in detail many questions people have regarding their machines.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!