Hello from Kentucky

M

Muggster71

Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
Ownership

1. Big Red
Rig looks clean. Hope it dosnt cost you much to get her going again.
Keep us posted on your progress
I will and I am looking forward to getting it fixed. I have a toyota 4runner that has spoiled me, it has 420,000 miles on it and I don’t maintain it like I should. I let that mindset creep in on Big Red and I haven’t changed the oil in it as often as I should have been so….maybe that’s what caused this cam lobe problem, IDK. I don’t abuse it or drive like a maniac or anything. The worst it sees is pulling some pretty big logs out of the woods and a lot of engine starting and stopping. Anyway, once I repair it I will be better about changing the oil. I thought about putting a little heavier oil in it maybe.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi, I’ve been reading threads here for a few years and have ran across some really good information and have recently discovered that I have a bum camshaft in my 2009 muv-700 Big Red, which I determined by reading this forum. Well, that’s what the problem seems to be anyway. Loss of power and speed, will rarely shift into third unless I’m going downhill. It’s getting to the point that I’m a little worried that it’s going to make it up a pretty steep hill. I put it on jack stands and hit the accelerator and it does ok until you mash it down all the way, then it’s starts sputtering and missing. So, a couple of questions. Is it a good assumption that’s what the problem is? I haven’t seen anything else that it could be but wanted to check around and see if anyone has any other ideas. Other question is a list of parts that need replaced. At this point I know I need new camshaft, lifter buckets, chain and tensioner. Are there any gaskets/seals besides the head gasket or any other parts? I would assume I would want to use OEM parts but would be open to quality aftermarket parts if available. I am also going to download the service manual. Thanks for any help or advice!
Welcome from NW Arkansas!

Reactions: Smittyp

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!