BOX1

BRed Hello from Northeastern Wisconsin

F

FreeBigRed

Mar 12, 2017
DePere WI 54115
Ownership

1. Big Red
Hello all, I'm Roger and have recently become the owner of a free...yes free 2009 Honda Big Red, given to me by my brother-in law. He asked me if I wanted it since my wife and I own 10 wooded acres and thought I could use it on my land. Granted the Big Red has been used and abused but with a little TLC I think it has a lot of life left in it. The first I issue I tackled was, it started hard and in the cold weather not at all, after discovering that the air filter was completely clogged (did not realize it was yellow foam until after I washed it and re-oiled it) I also pulled, cleaned and re-gapped the spark plug, now the big read starts easy. The second issue I fixed was that the timing chain was making an awful racket and the engine seemed very sluggish, My brother in-law and I thought a possible chain replacement and possible engine rebuild was in order. On one of the forums I read that the chain tensioner is a known problem. I was able to disassemble it and fix it (broken spring)I will post on a separate thread. This also seemed to improve a sluggish throttle and increased the horsepower. My brother in-law drove through a lot of brush and ripped 2 CV boots. There is a hose on the passenger side of the engine below the oil filter location that has been ripped off the engine (about the size of a standard fuel line) I cannot find it on an engine diagram and would appreciate if someone could give me a hand on where this hose connects or pictures of it, I cannot get a good view of it so far other than seeing it hanging there from the driver's side. I will have to get it up on a set of ramps. I thank you in advance for any help and pointers.

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello all, I'm Roger and have recently became the owner of a free...yes free 2009 Honda Big Red, given to me by my brother-in law. He asked me if I wanted it since my wife and I own 10 wooded acres and thought I could use it on my land. Granted the Big Red has been used and abused but with a little TLC I think it has a lot of life left in it. The first I issue I tackled was, it started hard and in the cold weather not at all, after discovering that the air filter was completely clogged (did not realize it was yellow foam until after I washed it and re-oiled it) I also pulled, cleaned and re-gapped the spark plug, now the big read starts easy. The second issue I fixed was that the timing chain was making an awful racket and the engine seemed very sluggish, My brother in-law and I thought a possible chain replacement and possible engine rebuild was in order. On one of the forums I read that the chain tensioner is a known problem. I was able to disassemble it and fix it (broken spring)I will post on a separate thread. This also seemed to improve a sluggish throttle and increased the horsepower. My brother in-law drove through a lot of brush and ripped 2 CV boots. There is a hose on the passenger side of the engine below the oil filter location that has been ripped off the engine (about the size of a standard fuel line) I cannot find it on an engine diagram and would appreciate if someone could give me a hand on where this hose connects or pictures of it, I cannot get a good view of it so far other than seeing it hanging there from the driver's side. I will have to get it up on a set of ramps. I thank you in advance for any help and pointers.
Welcome from janesville

Reactions: moparornocar
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hello all, I'm Roger and have recently become the owner of a free...yes free 2009 Honda Big Red, given to me by my brother-in law. He asked me if I wanted it since my wife and I own 10 wooded acres and thought I could use it on my land. Granted the Big Red has been used and abused but with a little TLC I think it has a lot of life left in it. The first I issue I tackled was, it started hard and in the cold weather not at all, after discovering that the air filter was completely clogged (did not realize it was yellow foam until after I washed it and re-oiled it) I also pulled, cleaned and re-gapped the spark plug, now the big read starts easy. The second issue I fixed was that the timing chain was making an awful racket and the engine seemed very sluggish, My brother in-law and I thought a possible chain replacement and possible engine rebuild was in order. On one of the forums I read that the chain tensioner is a known problem. I was able to disassemble it and fix it (broken spring)I will post on a separate thread. This also seemed to improve a sluggish throttle and increased the horsepower. My brother in-law drove through a lot of brush and ripped 2 CV boots. There is a hose on the passenger side of the engine below the oil filter location that has been ripped off the engine (about the size of a standard fuel line) I cannot find it on an engine diagram and would appreciate if someone could give me a hand on where this hose connects or pictures of it, I cannot get a good view of it so far other than seeing it hanging there from the driver's side. I will have to get it up on a set of ramps. I thank you in advance for any help and pointers.
Welcome from Iowa, sounds like you got a good deal.We ride in the Black River Falls area about three times a year, We are heading up to the Hurley area for a week this June.

C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
Welcome aboard from Michigan. Heck of a good deal I would say.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Eau Claire County! Let's see some pics of this big red!

F

FreeBigRed

Mar 12, 2017
DePere WI 54115
Ownership

1. Big Red
Welcome from Iowa, sounds like you got a good deal.We ride in the Black River Falls area about three times a year, We are heading up to the Hurley area for a week this June.
Was in Hurley this past February, riding the trails on my 96 Ski Doo Grand touring 583 we started out from Eagle River headed to Land-o-Lakes then to Boulder Junction, Manitowish Waters, Mercer then Hurley and Back. As for Big Red I would be more likely Running the Trails In Marinette and Forest counties for starters, I can hit the trails from our place in Athelstane.

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Was in Hurley this past February, riding the trails on my 96 Ski Doo Grand touring 583 we started out from Eagle River headed to Land-o-Lakes then to Boulder Junction, Manitowish Waters, Mercer then Hurley and Back. As for Big Red I would be more likely Running the Trails In Marinette and Forest counties for starters, I can hit the trails from our place in Athelstane.
We ride up there in the summer. Maybe we will see you there!

Reactions: FreeBigRed
F

FreeBigRed

Mar 12, 2017
DePere WI 54115
Ownership

1. Big Red
Welcome from Eau Claire County! Let's see some pics of this big red!
Here it is!

IMAG0986

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good deal for sure!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!