Welcome from NW Georgia.

O

old-school

Jan 7, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, I'm u00rte2

I recently purchased a 2017 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and my wife and I enjoy the trail riding together. I also bought it for plowing the driveway since my Polaris Sportsman 500 and plow is nearing the end of life.

I purchased a Western Impact V-Plow and regrettably have to return it.

I made several calls regarding plows for the Pioneer. Here is what I found.

The reason Western did not show the plow as an option on thier websire is because they say the Pioneer cannot handle the current of the hydraulics unit. It pulls the voltage too low and the Honda transmission drops out. They claim the same issue is true for the BOSS plow also. The straight blade isn’t a problem. Boss didn’t have and issue with putting it on but wouldn’t comment on the Honda warranty.

Since the only reason I bought the Pioneer 1000-5 was to put a VPlow on it I contacted the dealer I bought it from and stated either we get it to work without affecting any warranty or I return the Pioneer. They called Honda and the solution is to add another battery and the warranty is unaffected.

I contacted the Western dealer and talked to him about this. and any clearance issues. He stated it was not an issue. After having the plow installed I found that the plow mount clearance when raised is only about 2" off the ground. This is a great concern but the biggest issue is the clearance overall. I moved the blades to the V position and lowered it. The edges of the plow touch the ground first and hold the center off the ground about 5-6 inches. This means there is no weight on the Honda and there is still not enough clearance to plow. There is not enough clearance to lower the plow to the ground! Essentially the problem lies in how they attach to the UTV mount. It attaches below the mount instead of in front or above it. Needless to say I have requested a return and they are giving me grief over it.

Now I am considering getting the BOSS V-Plow and I am wondering what experience you guys are getting with these plows. I am more concerned about functionality than price. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : Yes, this is my first.
I have owned, or currently own the following: UTV, ATV, Motorcycle
My off-road experience level is: Intermediate
My favorite place to ride is: Local trails both groomed and ungroomed

Hi Tim,
The 2nd battery makes sense. The Boss is a nice plow but almost 50 # heaver therefor making your ground clearance even less. Try the rubber helper bushings on the front available through your Honda dealer. They are not expensive about $ 20.00 if that raises the blade far enough for you good. If not, another option is adjustable psi. air shocks. The are a custom item made by a company in Colorado: A 1 Shock Absorber phone # 800-334-1966 about $ 250.00 a pr.
I would be interested how it works out for you.
old-school

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum there is a lot of good information and people on here.

Mike129

Mike129

May 9, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Tim,
The 2nd battery makes sense. The Boss is a nice plow but almost 50 # heaver therefor making your ground clearance even less. Try the rubber helper bushings on the front available through your Honda dealer. They are not expensive about $ 20.00 if that raises the blade far enough for you good. If not, another option is adjustable psi. air shocks. The are a custom item made by a company in Colorado: A 1 Shock Absorber phone # 800-334-1966 about $ 250.00 a pr.
I would be interested how it works out for you.
old-school
Do not waste your time ordering custom air shocks from this place for your pioneer. I ordered a set... With... What I thought was the compete understanding that they would be used in place of the original suspension in the winter to help with added weight of the plow. I was told they would work just fine for that application. The custom air shocks that were made specific for my P1K5 won't even lift up the front of the machine to stock height. Called the place mentioned here where I got them and got the runaround. Long story short... I'm out about $300 and have a set a air shocks that are useless. The whole point of this is to help someone else avoid the same mistake that I've made.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I'm using struts in the front and they are working flawless and only cost me $30 bucks for a friend to make me a set. they take about 10 min to put on just take shocks off and pop this on done. what ever ride height you prefer. now my only problem with v plow is the week charging system. I also have 2 batteries with isolator and still a problem when in small areas plowing lifting alot without alot of driving between lifts! Not sure how Im going to deal with this problem? any suggestions would be great. today the low oil presser light came on a couple of times while plowing I think it may have had to do with the low voltage as well.?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!