OldToby

OldToby

Supporting Member
Aug 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
29C19367 3DD8 47B8 A7AB EBE01F2FE1D0
i just got one of those little 10AH 12v batteries delivered from Amazon, and the negative spade terminal is broken off flush with the resin whatever-it-is packing stuff. Amazon is sending me a new one and tells me just to keep the old one, which (apart from the broken connector) is perfectly good. Does anyone have any ideas re fixing this and making it usable? Since it’ll probably never be up to a lot of vibration, I can’t use it as a starting battery for my old genset as planned, but I thought I might use it as part of a small solar setup to take camping, for charging gps, cellphones, etc. Thoughts, anyone? Thanks!!

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
View attachment 93863 i just got one of those little 10AH 12v batteries delivered from Amazon, and the negative spade terminal is broken off flush with the resin whatever-it-is packing stuff. Amazon is sending me a new one and tells me just to keep the old one, which (apart from the broken connector) is perfectly good. Does anyone have any ideas re fixing this and making it usable? Since it’ll probably never be up to a lot of vibration, I can’t use it as a starting battery for my old genset as planned, but I thought I might use it as part of a small solar setup to take camping, for charging gps, cellphones, etc. Thoughts, anyone? Thanks!!
Short of digging it out some, hoping there’s still enough plastic there and soldering a wire in place, not sure because it’s so close to the body. I wouldn’t recommend that though.
“I knew a guy” lol, that used a soldering gun on side of battery to fix a crack and it worked even with acid leaking out. But that was stupid

OldToby

OldToby

Supporting Member
Aug 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That packing stuff looks/acts like some kind of epoxy, so I don’t think I can melt it out w/a soldering iron or a little torch. I’m thinking maybe I could dremel it out enough to get room to solder a wire to it, then attach a male spade to the wire. A wire would also help with vibration issues.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That packing stuff looks/acts like some kind of epoxy, so I don’t think I can melt it out w/a soldering iron or a little torch. I’m thinking maybe I could dremel it out enough to get room to solder a wire to it, then attach a male spade to the wire. A wire would also help with vibration issues.
If had a dremel that would work. I imagine that case is thick. Put on safety gogs and have shower running lol. I don’t like throwing away usable stuff either so I’d do it. Not sure how flammable the fumes are but “the guy I know “ says the acid was toxic as s*** when it the soldering iron hit it. Boy be careful buddy. I really hate suggesting anything dangerous but I do know where you live lol

OldToby

OldToby

Supporting Member
Aug 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, you’re right about the whole “dangerousness” thing. It’s a sliding scale for sure. I was just thinking that I could take it over to my buddy’s house and get his thoughts on the subject. We’d start with a couple of shots of cheap vodka, then the ideas would start to flow!!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Return it

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
advertisement
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
My self I would keep it around to just test stuff when I needed 12 volts. But wouldn't use it in any rides. I would run a self tapper along side of what's left just to get it.If acid is leaking out of that spot. Use water to clean and epoxy or RTV sealant.

Last edited:
OldToby

OldToby

Supporting Member
Aug 29, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My self I would keep it around to just test stuff when I needed 12 volts. But wouldn't use it in any rides. I would run a self tapper along side of what's left just to get it.If acid is leaking out of that spot. Use water to clean and epoxy or etc sealant.
I like the self-tapper idea. I wasn’t planning on using it on anything that would vibrate it. I could always use it for fishing, run a little switch inline and use it to set off caps.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
They gave you another battery your not out anything take it to parts store get ten bucks then your ahead . Don't lose your eyesight over a battery. Being cheap has a limit.

advertisement