P500 Help- soft door zipper problem

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Oh, wise knowers of all things large and small about Pioneer 500s!

I have a zipper problem one of the Falcon Ridge soft doors on my P500.

The zipper pull slider (yes- there is a name for the piece) moves freely to a point in a curved portion of the door and then stops.

When I examine the zipper with a magnifying glass from both sides, I do not see any mis-aligned teeth jamming it. Tugging hard on both inside and external pulls with pieces of paracord looped on does not work. Placing a wood wedge and gently tapping it did not work. I can pull the zipper away from the spot and it engages the teeth below perfectly.

Any ideas/ suggestions of what to do next? I tried a dab if white lithium grease with no luck.

I’m afraid to apply too much force (if such an idea exists) and make it worse.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I know on my jeep soft top zippers I would use some wax chain lube. I picked it up from the bicycle section at Walmart. It worked great it was in a little 2oz or 4oz bottle.
This ^^^^
The zippers on my P5 got packed with mud and started sticking, an old toothbrush to clean them and some zipper wax did the trick.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
I smeared a bunch of zipper lube (looks like Chap Stick) on both sides starting 3” below where it sticks to 3” above. No luck.

Any other suggestions before I attach vise grips to both pulls and really yank on it?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I think you are at that point where you may have to just man-handle it and hope for the best. I'm really good at breaking stuff too...

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, zipper wax. Comes in a tube, like a super sized chap stick. I use it on any zippered gear I use on my boat in the salt water. Nothing destroys zippers like salt water

Reactions: Smitty335
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Force did not work. I put a thin piece of wood on the pull and rapped it with a hammer unsuccessfully.

I’m still crawling in the driver’s door.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
More force did work. I grabbed the paracord with vise grips and yanked. Broke off some teeth. Gooped it up with zipper lube and it slides easily now.

Reactions: Smitty335
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
5661146792d0daecc94a6b5c26b5c0d2

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!