P500 Hesitation on up shifts

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Took the P500 out for its first "real" ride today. Turned 100 miles so 1st service is due. Anyways after a little ways into the ride I noticed that it was hesitating on up shifts, meaning I would manually up shift while staying on the throttle, and the machine would keep revving for a brief second, but you could tell no power was getting to the ground, and then it would get into gear and there would be a small lurch forward as power got to the ground. In the 40 to 50 miles before today I don't believe it was acting like this, the shifts would be fast and pretty smooth. Also I tried it on automatic mode and it was also hesitating on up shifts. During down shifts there was no hesitation.

Could this be a clutch adjustment issue ? I've watched piston honda's video and could give that a try.

Thanks guys.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Took the P500 out for its first "real" ride today. Turned 100 miles so 1st service is due. Anyways after a little ways into the ride I noticed that it was hesitating on up shifts, meaning I would manually up shift while staying on the throttle, and the machine would keep revving for a brief second, but you could tell no power was getting to the ground, and then it would get into gear and there would be a small lurch forward as power got to the ground. In the 40 to 50 miles before today I don't believe it was acting like this, the shifts would be fast and pretty smooth. Also I tried it on automatic mode and it was also hesitating on up shifts. During down shifts there was no hesitation.

Could this be a clutch adjustment issue ? I've watched piston honda's video and could give that a try.

Thanks guys.
Yes. Try adjusting the clutch.
I've tried adjusting it at operating temp and cold. Cold seemed to work better but you may have to monkey with it to see what works best for you.

Reactions: Little_g
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine is doing the EXACT same thing and its done it before so I know its definitely a clutch adjustment. Works fine in manual and downshifts fine but upshifting in auto it shifts but hesitates before it actually kicks in and then you can feel a little lurch forward.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine will hesitate to upshift every now and then but I’m not too concerned about it. I’m going to adjust mine, I’ll let you know if it helps.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey @IttyBittyFitty, I adjusted the transmission and that did seem to help with the upshift hesitation. Took about 5 minutes to do FYI.

Reactions: Gassygordo

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!