Hey... wanna watch me use my winch for the very first time?

J

Jshell3

Ive NEVER owned a winch.

It was quite exciting, to say the least.
(Shelle video'd me)

I'm pretty much a first responder now. ;) I passed this downed tree limb about a mile from the house, on my way home from the dealership.
Also, at the moment I have the winch remote port coiled up and zip tied under my hood. (So that's why the hood's off)
I bought a wireless remote, but have not installed it yet. I asked the dealership to NOT drill any holes in the dash.

Warn Vantage 4000-S Synthetic.

Don't even try to count the number of things I did wrong... just say "looking good!"

Haha

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Ive NEVER owned a winch.

It was quite exciting, to say the least.
(Shelle video'd me)

I'm pretty much a first responder now. ;) I passed this downed tree limb about a mile from the house, on my way home from the dealership.
Also, at the moment I have the winch remote port coiled up and zip tied under my hood. (So that's why the hood's off)
I bought a wireless remote, but have not installed it yet. I asked the dealership to NOT drill any holes in the dash.

Warn Vantage 4000-S Synthetic.

Don't even try to count the number of things I did wrong... just say "looking good!"

Haha

That's cool! Welcome to the winch club I like that your shirt matches your machine! Nice touch lol. Seriously though, winches are fun to watch work. They can save your butt and your back.

J

Jshell3

Doesn't matter who turns the wrench! It is custom because BB is unique! ;)
There's something to be said about doing it yourself, tho. You get a chance to do it exactly like you want. And you understand exactly fit and function. Delegation gets you about 80% at best.
Like I'm going through the winch plumbing right now looking for specific wires (that I ain't found).

On the other hand, the speakers and amp install I worked on til 3am, is killer!! And I know every wire and why!

Last edited by a moderator:
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Be careful getting too close to cable and don't let yourself get in between the machine and what you are winching.Winching is fun, Especially if you are pulling out Your uncles JD gator.But it also can be deadly. I have seen more damage done by cable snapping and machines tumbling.I pull trees with mine all the time. I use a loop strap and a small chain. Put the strap around limbs and use chain to loop over hitch and pull with pioneer. And wireless is the way to go.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I bought that $15 wireless box/remote... but for the life of me, I can't figure out the hookup. It just clicks.
Positive and neg go to power in on your solenoid and the control wires go to the same wires your dash or wired remote go to

Reactions: Tigermark and sharp
knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looks good just a suggestion don't wrap the line around the tree to itself use a small tree saver strap or chain just don't want you to cut your line and someone get hurt just my 2 cents though

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!