Hobo Shoestring is missing. UPDATE: Body found.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I should have posted this a few days ago...I forget many of you live in Eastern Tennessee and on the Eastern seaboard.

A YouTuber I watch called Hobo shoestring has gone missing and a silver alert has been issued. His real name is Mark Nichols.

He is based out of Johnson City, TN.

GKCXbsMXYAAI62a

He visited the ER on March the 27th around 4am and was having hallucinations and what they describe as an "altered mental state". His neighbors Ring camera caught him entering his townhome at roughly 7am that morning, and no one has seen him since.
The concerning part here, is that all his belongings were left behind in his house. All the doors were locked except for the back door. There is a body of water behind his house, but this has been searched to some degree, and plans are in the works for more in depth search.

As his name implies, shoestring makes YouTube videos about hopping trains, something he's done since well before YouTube existed. It's possible that he hopped a train, though he doesn't normally leave his stuff behind. He could be pretty much anywhere, but usually sticks to the east coast going down into Erwin, TN and South Carolina, and Maryland/WV/Virginia. He has access to Norfolk Southern and CSX trackage. He also has family in Texas, and does occasionally ride out west, so he could be anywhere.

If you get stopped at a railroad crossing, please look up and down the tracks for any sign of him. If you have to wait on a train keep an eye on the cars...Especially the grain cars, for sign of him. If you see him, please call 911 immediately, as his family and friends are desperately looking for him.

He's legally blind, very hard of hearing, and missing two fingers on his left hand.

He's been missing for several days now, so I think most anyone probably fears the worst. As stated, he doesn't normally ride the train without his stuff, but in an altered mental state, who knows what he would do. From my part, I'm sorry to say they're probably going to find him relatively close to his home, but let's hope for the best.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
A dive team has recovered a body from the lake behind his house.

One video is saying it is unconfirmed, while another is saying it was him.

UPDATE: Several sources are now saying it's confirmed, and the TN Gov silver alert page for him is saying "Resolved".

RIP Shoestring

Last edited:
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

UPDATE: Several sources are now saying it's confirmed, and the TN Gov silver alert page for him is saying "Resolved".

RIP Shoestring
What a strange story.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

RIP Shoestring
It was him.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!