P700 Honda 700-4 Sputters and Loses Power on Restart

shadowrider63

shadowrider63

May 2, 2014
Quinlan, TX
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4 with about 3200 miles on it. It starts right up and runs fine. The problem comes in after I run it for a while and then kill the engine. If I restart it when the engine warm, it will start up just fine but will sputter, chug, and lose power (but not die) when I press on the gas. If I shift it into neutral and then back into drive, it will run just fine again. Again it runs great when starting from cold engine.

I have changed the spark plug, cleaned the airbox and replaced the air filter, and replaced all fuel with fresh fuel. I pulled the spark arrestor today and ran without it. Problem still persists.

I thought about a restriction in the muffler but wouldn't it run bad all the time if that was the case?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: Smitty335
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you starting the machine with your foot on the brake and the gear selector in drive? My Rincon sometimes will spit and sputter when I start it in gear and try to give it gas.

Reactions: Smitty335
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure it's in neutral when starting. It's a longshot but something simple to try

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have a 2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4 with about 3200 miles on it. It starts right up and runs fine. The problem comes in after I run it for a while and then kill the engine. If I restart it when the engine warm, it will start up just fine but will sputter, chug, and lose power (but not die) when I press on the gas. If I shift it into neutral and then back into drive, it will run just fine again. Again it runs great when starting from cold engine.

I have changed the spark plug, cleaned the airbox and replaced the air filter, and replaced all fuel with fresh fuel. I pulled the spark arrestor today and ran without it. Problem still persists.

I thought about a restriction in the muffler but wouldn't it run bad all the time if that was the case?

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Not sure I can help you much on that cuz its a P7 but make sure your gas is good,vent lines are clear no mud nest inside. Snorkel it if u haven't already

So youve been a member since the Dawn of Christ on here and this is the only 2 post you have! 🤨
Anyway, being here that long you should know….
PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Where you from too? Your profile doesn't say.
Welcome back! ;)

shadowrider63

shadowrider63

May 2, 2014
Quinlan, TX
Ownership

1. 700-4
LOL Remington... Dawn of Christ huh? Guilty as charged. Please cut this Texas girl a break. In my defense, my lack of posts can be attributed to the fact that I have had really good luck with the Pioneer. Also my mechanical abilities are limited to routine maintenance and my diagnostic skills leave much to be desired. Which is why this forum is so very helpful. 😊

No issues when starting with gear selector Neutral... just when engine is warm and I start it with selector in Drive. This just started happening in the last couple of months... weird. But I do have a work around by starting it in Neutral and strangely I feel better knowing it happens to WagginTail and Glock21 too 🤣

I will check the vent lines.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I appreciate it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!