P700 honda 700,viking,defender or john deere rsx

K

keithepperson

Feb 21, 2016
Southwest virginia
I am in the market for a 1st sxs and am a loyal Honda man, however the can am, Viking, and rsx have caught my attention. I will use it mainly for fire wood and farm use but also hunting and trail riding and the competitors seem to be a little better spec wise. I understand that I will get a biased opinion here but want to stay team red

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you looking at a 4 seat version?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Me personally I'd cross the viking off the list. You have to wear ear plugs in it very loud. Pioneer is the best value and most reliable probably best resale. New can am looks nice. Rsx is more sport than utility. I'd chose between can am and honda especially for the utility aspects

K

keithepperson

Feb 21, 2016
Southwest virginia
Thanks. Those are the two I'm most interested in. The J D is nice but I've heard from some that were disappointed

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Honda better quality if u could fast forward 30 years u have to ask what has the better chance of still being around. why do u think Honda trail 70's are selling for 2500-3000 dollars in good condition because although Honda is Japanese do to its quality for so long it has turned into an american accepted brand. we grew up with them and beat them to death and they wouldn't stop running. once u buy honda equipment like generators and such u will never buy anything else. they are a bit more expensive but way better quality. Honda builds quality PERIOD

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am in the market for a 1st sxs and am a loyal Honda man, however the can am, Viking, and rsx have caught my attention. I will use it mainly for fire wood and farm use but also hunting and trail riding and the competitors seem to be a little better spec wise. I understand that I will get a biased opinion here but want to stay team red

I had a pioneer 700. It is a real work horse and will take a beating and keep on running. If you buy the p700, plan on keeping it for while because it won't give up on you.

Now for the exceptions, if you plan to do extreme riding the p700 may not fit your style. I know you said you need a general hunting and trail machine, it will do that all day everyday. The P700 will fill your needs nicely. However, if you want to run 28" or larger tires or travel at speeds greater than 40mph continuously, the p700 may not be your best bet. I don't want you to be disappointed is the reason I say that. It doesn't have a low range so it won't pull large tires easily in mud. It also may struggle at really high elevations like 10,000 feet or higher.

It will haul firewood.....
09222f3444f3aa0140a365797a3ce2bd

It will trail ride.....
286cb1f67453110f3f4df10a279cfd51

The P700 doesn't have power steering. That may not be an issue for you but for some it is.

The rear axle is always locked so don't drive it on a golf course.

Don't expect it to keep up with a rzr on the trail but it will out haul and outlast the rzr for sure.

I hope this helps. Just ask if you would like more info. There are plenty of experienced owners that will tell you about their p700's.

Joe

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a pioneer 700. It is a real work horse and will take a beating and keep on running. If you buy the p700, plan on keeping it for while because it won't give up on you.

Now for the exceptions, if you plan to do extreme riding the p700 may not fit your style. I know you said you need a general hunting and trail machine, it will do that all day everyday. The P700 will fill your needs nicely. However, if you want to run 28" or larger tires or travel at speeds greater than 40mph continuously, the p700 may not be your best bet. I don't want you to be disappointed is the reason I say that. It doesn't have a low range so it won't pull large tires easily in mud. It also may struggle at really high elevations like 10,000 feet or higher.

It will haul firewood.....
09222f3444f3aa0140a365797a3ce2bd

It will trail ride.....
286cb1f67453110f3f4df10a279cfd51

The P700 doesn't have power steering. That may not be an issue for you but for some it is.

The rear axle is always locked so don't drive it on a golf course.

Don't expect it to keep up with a rzr on the trail but it will out haul and outlast the rzr for sure.

I hope this helps. Just ask if you would like more info. There are plenty of experienced owners that will tell you about their p700's.

Joe

What he said, I used it for WORK and PLAY, it held up very well.

Honda Pioneer 700-4 Tree Pull

Group Ride Top Trails

Reactions: joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
You sound just like me before I bought my Honda. Needed something to work, play, and hunt. Honestly, we the SXS consumer are very lucky right now! All the manufacturers are bringing great machines to the table. What won me over (other than being a Honda fan) was the transmission. One of a kind in this market segment. In my experience, belt drives mean a lot of maintenance and not a ton of reliability. I know some have had good luck with them but I need something I can trust all the way.

Reactions: joeymt33
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
the only thing better than the honda 700 is the 1000 how much more is a 1000 vs 700?

advertisement
K

keithepperson

Feb 21, 2016
Southwest virginia
Thanks guys. My decision is definitely down to can an/ Honda. I will test drive both on dealer lot but that don't really tell the tale. That's why I posted here. The stock can am just looks a little better on paper in some inportant to me categories . Like storage, bed capacity,speed. I do like the Honda on width and transmission and reliability. I'm leaning toward Honda but intend on a purchase within 60 days. Tryin to do a little home work on the competition. Has any one seen the defender in action yet?

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Gotta say, if you think you want the Honda maybe better not drive the Defender. It is a sweet rig, and Honda's aren't really that much more reliable than anything else any more. JD Power rates GM and Ford as better than Honda.

Just buy the one that does the job better. Better ride, more comfortable, EPS, better handling, more payload, more power, low range, etc. The Defender is a serious competitior to the P1000. The P700 isn't even in the same league in real use.

K

keithepperson

Feb 21, 2016
Southwest virginia
T
Gotta say, if you think you want the Honda maybe better not drive the Defender. It is a sweet rig, and Honda's aren't really that much more reliable than anything else any more. JD Power rates GM and Ford as better than Honda.

Just buy the one that does the job better. Better ride, more comfortable, EPS, better handling, more payload, more power, low range, etc. The Defender is a serious competitior to the P1000. The P700 isn't even in the same league in real use.
Thanks a lot. I do want what is best for me. I like them both. I have a rancher 350 I bought new and have had few problems. I also raced Rs and Xs in moto cross and Honda is all I ever been around. With the budget I have I won't be able to add a lot of options if any so I'm comparing bone stock only

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
get the pioneer 1000 then when u can afford it do things to it don't make the mistake of buying something then in a couple of years want to upgrade

Reactions: Tflynn
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
he hates the belt drive wants to be able to chose the gears hes in I didn't get to involved he just uses it for work around his farm

Last edited:
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
How long has he had it? The P 1000 was on the market before the Defender was. They have only been available a few weeks.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!