P1000 Honda factory roof p1000-5 black vs grey?

A

ADVBUM

Dec 10, 2023
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking at this roof for my 1000-5. Does the grey make that much of a difference and worth the extra money? Can you spray the underside of the black with something to brighten?

664x500

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking at this roof for my 1000-5. Does the grey make that much of a difference and worth the extra money? Can you spray the underside of the black with something to brighten?

View attachment 412229

🤔 I’ve not seen a grey one. What’s the price difference?

NorthernJoe

NorthernJoe

Feb 10, 2021
Northern Ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 412229

I'm thinking of mounting plywood covered in light grey carpet to the ROPS tucked as close to the underside of the roof and adding an overhead console with lighting, sound dampening, blocks the heat in summer, keeps the heat in winter. I'll post pictures if I ever get around to it

A

ADVBUM

Dec 10, 2023
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
🤔 I’ve not seen a grey one. What’s the price difference?

The grey one is the same black one with a grey coating underneath. I believe it is about $100 difference. I did not think about the insulation from heat. Has anyone coated the underside of their roof with some type of insulation/ coating?

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
The grey one is the same black one with a grey coating underneath. I believe it is about $100 difference. I did not think about the insulation from heat. Has anyone coated the underside of their roof with some type of insulation/ coating?

View attachment 412230
Wow! Quite steep for a gay paint job. I can get u an Earl Shribe paint job for under $50 for that in Detroit 🤣 must be a new option to make it feel liter in the cab?

As for insulation under that hood. The mai question is, are u doing a full cab? That would be the only reason to think about doing that imo. Even with just so soft doors and heater is plenty to keep u nice a warm. As for jeeping the heat out huh🤨
Besides, to insulate would be a whore cuz of all the contoured edges with the Honda roof. Im sure it would have been done here first. If it aint in the search up top, it aint been done!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Wow! Quite steep for a gay paint job. I can get u an Earl Shribe paint job for under $50 for that in Detroit 🤣 must be a new option to make it feel liter in the cab?

As for insulation under that hood. The mai question is, are u doing a full cab? That would be the only reason to think about doing that imo. Even with just so soft doors and heater is plenty to keep u nice a warm. As for jeeping the heat out huh🤨
Besides, to insulate would be a whore cuz of all the contoured edges with the Honda roof. Im sure it would have been done here first. If it aint in the search up top, it aint been done!
Guys have talked about doing it in the past with Dynamat but can't say I've ever actually seen it done. Unless you cover it it'll probably tear at some point or the adhesive will cut loose being hung on the ceiling with the variation in temp. Plastic expands and contracts so I'd be interested in how long it stayed up there.
Nomojic

Tom_C

Tom_C

Jul 17, 2021
Virginia, USA
Ownership

1. 500
Is it to make the interior brighter? As said, paint it. I would actually like it to be lighter on top to help with heat, but it probably wouldn't do much. I know the way I drive through the trees, painting the outside wouldn't last long so it would be better if the plastic was colored.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

View attachment 412229

It's a flat or non-gloss black. It may look gray in the photo.

Mine is insulated with self-adhesive rolled insulation as is the floor, cab, and area under and behind the seat.

A

ADVBUM

Dec 10, 2023
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's a flat or non-gloss black. It may look gray in the photo.

Mine is insulated with self-adhesive rolled insulation as is the floor, cab, and area under and behind the seat.
What did you use? I am considering getting the stock black and coating the inside with this raptor product in grey or white?

Raptor 1K Truck Bed Coating Aerosols

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I may be off on this...

If you want the "bottom* of the roof, the side closest to your head, to be light colored, to reflect interior lighting.. Can you wrap that surface?

And, I know there are paints and flex additives that you can paint substrates with that won't crack with movement. Very common with air dams and body kits, even from the factory like with AMG.

I would be afraid of a carpet material collecting dust, dirt, and mud and hitting bumps would knock it loose on my head, clothing, and on the inside of the cab.

None of this may relate to what you want or need.

Whatever you decide to do, please update and show some photos.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 2023 using Tapatalk

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
What did you use? I am considering getting the stock black and coating the inside with this raptor product in grey or white?

View attachment 412234

I wanted the brand name self-adhesive material hot-rodders and car restorers use but decided it was too expensive so I bought a cheaper but similar product. It's adhesive on one side, similar to aluminum foil on the other, with thin insulating material sandwiched between. I don't remember but may have ordered it from Home Depot.

A rattle can spray undercoat material should work if you clean the surface first with a good paint thinner to remove any wax, oil, or dirt.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@ARMike so what exactly are u trying to accomplish here, lightning or insulating?
Never technically said besides asking what the difference was in the two colors

Reactions: NewHere2 and ChadD
A

ADVBUM

Dec 10, 2023
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was trying to understand if there was a significant difference from real world experience. I understand the lighting of the lighter color. Listening to the insulation issue or not much of one, makes me think that the lighter bed coating would be the way to go.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I was trying to understand if there was a significant difference from real world experience. I understand the lighting of the lighter color. Listening to the insulation issue or not much of one, makes me think that the lighter bed coating would be the way to go.
Gotcha. So more to keep heat out I think your trying to say?

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I may be way off here…but I don’t think anything suggested is going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. In my opinion it wouldn’t be worth the effort to do any of it. Just get in and enjoy what you got!

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I may be way off here…but I don’t think anything suggested is going to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. In my opinion it wouldn’t be worth the effort to do any of it. Just get in and enjoy what you got!
My thoughts exactly Mulie.
No reviews on the gray anywhere. Just another Honda weird accessory idea. They had a few like this on the 16’ launch that bever really sold either.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!