Honda Horn Kit?

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Yep.. Many of us chose to NOT go the Honda switch route. Some of use even took our custom jobs overboard with a 12+ switch panel. lol. Really, why do you need 12+ switches. hahah.. But those guys have there rigs decked out like crazy. Love it.
Yes! I agree! I just bought the 6 switch panel from Red Mountain but have not cut the fugly plate out yet! Was waiting till I got the horn working then I was going to install it.....but the Red Mt. plate has issues too! All six switch outlets are too small and need to be filed larger to fit the switches they suggest, and the guy selling them does not provide a phone number.......I'll just put a bunch of silly/dummy switches in the openings until I figure out how to wire them correctly!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. They are a tight fit. But once there in they will not come out. If you want them looser a flat file works great.
What I did was cut the holes out where the plate is for the switches, ended up just cutting a single long rectangle hole.
Used small screws that I spray painted gloss black to hold the plate on. That way you can remove the plate to get behind the switches vs trying to remove each switch. Seen other people pop riveted it on but I do not recommend that. Its nice being able to just flip the plate over and there's all the wires. Wiring was a pain if you want the switch lights to work. took me forever and I only have 4 switches. haha.
Fried 2 switches because I was not paying attention.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep.. Many of us chose to NOT go the Honda switch route. Some of use even took our custom jobs overboard with a 12+ switch panel. lol. Really, why do you need 12+ switches. hahah.. But those guys have there rigs decked out like crazy. Love it.

I only had 11 @spifyd had a couple more than me, driving his made me feel like I was a bomber pilot.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes! I agree! I just bought the 6 switch panel from Red Mountain but have not cut the fugly plate out yet! Was waiting till I got the horn working then I was going to install it.....but the Red Mt. plate has issues too! All six switch outlets are too small and need to be filed larger to fit the switches they suggest, and the guy selling them does not provide a phone number.......I'll just put a bunch of silly/dummy switches in the openings until I figure out how to wire them correctly!

The holes are the exact outside dimensions of the OTRATTW carling style switches, it's really easy to remove just enough material so they fit snugly but it's pretty much impossible to add material back to keep them from moving around and to prevent muddy water from splashing past the gaps.

bobbyhill

bobbyhill

Pay to Play and I'm broke all around!
Junior Moderator
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Apr 8, 2015
Smithfield, VA
Ownership

1. 700-4
Your welcome! IF it does work, the connections Honda states in step #10 is INCORRECT! I am AMAZED that NOBODY has chimed in that has ACTUALLY installed this option! Guess NOBODY feels the need to blow the horn !
LOL I don't need a horn, I have a gun!

Reactions: Jayrock and JACKAL
D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
LOL I don't need a horn, I have a gun!
Thought it would be fun and safe by having a horn to catch my co-riders attention if we need help from one another and we want to stop along the trail, also seems it's a safety factor---- to catch attention if needed, etc.....hope you don't do THAT with your guns every time you need a little attention.....

In regards to the switch plate hole sizes....well, I DID buy the switches from the Red Mt.link and they also are too snug, had to be filed to fit.....FYI.

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Alas! I DID figure out the wiring and the horn now WORKS....The Honda instructions are WRONG. You do NOT connect the horn sub harness with the two bulb connections as they state, ( step #10, page 4 of 5) only ONE is connected in step #10 on page #4 of the instructions...the other bulb must be used to attach the horn wire switch to create a loop. BAD BAD BAD Honda! A Rep from Honda DID call me back three days later and I informed him of the mistake......Thanks for the Honda Forums suggestions and the person that corresponded back and forth with me MANY times! Appreciated that! johndigbydog

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Alas! I DID figure out the wiring and the horn now WORKS....The Honda instructions are WRONG. You do NOT connect the horn sub harness with the two bulb connections as they state, ( step #10, page 4 of 5) only ONE is connected in step #10 on page #4 of the instructions...the other bulb must be used to attach the horn wire switch to create a loop. BAD BAD BAD Honda! A Rep from Honda DID call me back three days later and I informed him of the mistake......Thanks for the Honda Forums suggestions and the person that corresponded back and forth with me MANY times! Appreciated that! johndigbydog

Also wanted to tell that I did NOT use the Honda horn unit supplied with the kit, it is too wimpy and very small as I had assumed it would be.....I just used the wiring supplies and purchased the 2 horns from Wolo on eBay, wired them into the assembly and it sounds like my 2 note Honda CR-V and Element, a very nice loud 2 note sound compared to the Pioneer "toot"- DID finally cut out the fugly plate and installed the Red Mt. 6 place switch plate and used a dummy switch plate filler to which I drilled a hole and used the supplied Honda horn kit switch button thru the drilled out dummy plate hole....looks really nice, will attach a pic soon, waiting for one more switch to arrive to fill the last switch hole. ( I did not order enough blanks)

D

digbydog

Jun 22, 2015
Downeast Maine
Now I'd like to see some switch wiring diagrams !

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!